overclocking xeon on poor P31 chipset

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
Hi guys.

i want to know if there's any option i can do,to get max out of my cpu. i have an ''msi p31 neo'' board and xeon e5440 quad core cpu. two crucial ballistix ddr2 modules on 1066mhz and one pqi module on 800mhz. but all modules are working on 800mhz,board supports only 800mhz. board supports only up to 1333mhz fsb for cpu and this xeon is 1333mhz fsb cpu. cpu clock is 2830mhz default and i managed to get it to 2290mhz stable. this is very low overclock,it's unnoticeable. base cpu fsb at default is 333mhz in bios,now is 339mhz. any higher than that,the board wont boot. multiplier is set to 8.5 by default,and i have option 9 also. when i use multiplier 9,cpu clock automatically sets to 3000mhz,and the base fsb stays to 333. this should work perfectly,but just won't and im frustrated about it. when i set multiplier 9,save bios settings and restart pc,that thing just automatically defaults to 8.5 multiplier after restart.
so,i want to know if there's any option to fix this ''bug'' i think,or just leave it to 8.5 and get back to fsb to make more then 339mhz?
i have a lots of options in bios,5-6 voltages,i have tried some of them,but it wont work either,just black screens after reboot. i want to know if this is maybe bios fault? should i try to update the bios? but this is an old board and i doubt there's any new bioses...
any input appreciated,sorry for my english 1.3

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
base clock overclocking will always be small compared to multiplier overclocking. A couple of things to note, Xeon CPU's are not capable of multiplier overclocks so thats why it resets, and for a base clock overclock thats actually pretty decent.

Do not adjust the voltage on a Xeon, they are very picky about it and if it doesn't match it's specified range it locks up and the PC will not boot. These are not 'bugs' but features very important to those Xeon CPU's are marketed to.

If it runs with a small base clock boot, you should be happy you got anywhere with overclocking it. Be sure it stays under 83 degrees Celsius.

Further attempts to adjust the multiplier or voltage may damage your CPU.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

We all are, it's long known there are very few differences between the CPU's save for the memory controllers and microcode. Xeon's can be an excellent option for systems that are intended for 24/7 use under load, but there's a good reason they loose value very quick due to these factors,

They are expected to be used very heavily due to their intended audience
They have lowered clock speeds to reduce thermal and electrical degradation
They may have limited memory configuration and speed options
Newer ones only work on specific chip sets with specific controllers
No or extremely limited overclocking options
They tend to not have many power saving features due to their intended use

That being said there have been a few that were great options for alternative systems, such as yours being a direct rename with separate controllers but the same cores, the trade off is they don't stand up as well to the ever increasing demands of software.

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
okay thank you. so i must get a better board,perhaps some msi p35 or p45 in order to archieve higher fsb overclock or other option is to get some 9550/9650 cpu and try multiplier and fsb overclock.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if a new board will help much if at all. You might gain an additional 50mhz, you may also loose $100.

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
Well okay,you suggest me to get another cpu. I cant get max out of my OCed HD5850 with this cpu frequency. 2.89Ghz is not enough for games such as Dota 2. So,if i get another quad with 1066Mhz FSB,i will have much more FSB space to overclock it,am i right? Is there any 12MB quad with 1066Mhz FSB,what do you suggest me? Maybe an Q6600/6800? I dont like it because of heating and noisy,it's older 65nm cpu. Thank you.

No matter what CPU you get, the P31 chipset has a hard FSB wall at around 340FSB because it has no strap with looser timings for any higher. It also cannot remap memory >4GB so can't use more than ~3.25GB RAM even in a 64-bit OS. The 65nm Quads are 8MB cache and a Q6600 would only run 9x339 or 3.05GHz. A Q6700 would allow a more reasonable 3.39GHz but draw ~140w to do it so you'd better have a good VRM on that board.

Both Xeons and Q-series quads are multiplier locked so it doesn't matter if you set it higher as it won't change anything. The multiplier setting in the BIOS is in case you want to set it lower, or get an expensive QX-series Extreme Edition.

Quads are more FSB limited than duals which can often go to 500 on the FSB but I've never seen a 45nm quad not do at least 400FSB on a P35 or P45 chipset board, which would give your e5440 3.4GHz at around 110w.

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
It's all about that this cpu cannot perform well in Dota 2 on stock speeds...It cant follow my HD5850 Black Edidion+OC. Limiting frame rate and cant hold stable rates. Dropping to 50 in team fights. Need higher clock,3.5Ghz would be perfect.

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
UPDATE:

I used Set Fsb tool and archieved 3.1Ghz with 1.3 voltage. Seems anything above that isn't stable and requires too much voltage. I dont know why P31 BIOS dont allow more than 2.89Ghz overclock,but this software is the solution. Clock generator for MSI P31 Neo is: ISC9LPRS514EGLF

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
I know this is an older thread, but just in case OP is still using this CPU (since they posted an update it seems likely) then a new motherboard will probably improve things considerably. If you can find a P45 board reasonably cheaply I'd go for it! I have a Xeon (E5450) in a Gigabyte P45 board and it runs extremely well (got it overclocked to 4.1GHz)

That's only the case for newer Sandy Bridge and above Xeons, where the base clock is tied to everything else. Core 2 Xeons that use the FSB will overclock just as well (some say they should OC better, but that seems to be speculation) as similar Core 2 Quads - I have an E5450 currently running at 4.1GHz (9x450 fsb). But yes you are correct that they are multiplier locked - changing it in BIOS won't actually do anything.

Do not adjust the voltage on a Xeon, they are very picky about it and if it doesn't match it's specified range it locks up and the PC will not boot. These are not 'bugs' but features very important to those Xeon CPU's are marketed to.

Well that's pretty much true of any CPU isn't it? If you try to run it at a voltage outside what it was designed for, it might not run. Nothing Xeon specific about that. Remember, Core 2 Xeons are LITERALLY just Core 2 Quads with SMP support enabled, in a slightly different package.

Be sure it stays under 83 degrees Celsius.

This, 83C is a reasonable temperature to try and keep it under.

Further attempts to adjust the multiplier or voltage may damage your CPU.
Well yes, but again that's true with overclocking anything...

Also a few of these points are a little off:

They are expected to be used very heavily due to their intended audience
probably true.

They have lowered clock speeds to reduce thermal and electrical degradation
Nope. An E5440 has exactly the same clock speed as a Q9550. Lower clock speed versions exist, but they are primarily designed to consume less power. A CPU will be obsolete way, way before it fails due to normal wear-and-tear.

They may have limited memory configuration and speed options
That is determined by the chipset/motherboard. Nothing to do with the CPU in this generation.

Newer ones only work on specific chip sets with specific controllers
Not sure about this one. It may well be the case now that you need a server grade chipset, but anyway, what modern Core i derived Xeons require isn't really relevant to the Core 2 based one being discussed in this thread.

No or extremely limited overclocking options
Nothing to do with the CPU, OC options are provided by the motherboard, unless you are referring to the locked multiplier, which is also true for all non-extreme edition CPUs.

They tend to not have many power saving features due to their intended use
Nope. The Xeons support all the same power saving features as the mainstream chips they are derived from.

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
EDIT: i managed to get it to 3100mhz (355.7FSB),with 1.250V. And that's max. Any higher FSB will freeze complete PC. Any voltage boost or pcie at 104mhz,or 667 memory will not help. I found my FSB wall at 364mhz,game over! :)

Windrunner

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 11, 2016
I got an P5Q mobo. For now,i keep it at 3650mhz,no any voltage boosts or tweaks needed. Just by raising fsb,and memory starting from 667mhz.