PC keeps shutting down randomly.. :(

8097Mony

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Hello everyone,

My PC keeps shutting down randomly for no reason even if I use it for normal work like internet surfing, watching movie and all it suddenly shuts down. At first, I assumed it was a heat problem, but It was exactly what it should be at. CPU Idle: 30-35 C.even on excessive Gaming it stays around 45-50 C and graphics card at 50-60 C . So that wasn't the issue. I dont know whats causing it to shut down then my friend :ange: suggested that may be its my psu(SMPS) causing computer to shut down Or may be electricity fluctuation. Not sure :??:

My Computer specs: :eek:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D3H
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4gb X 2 Ddr3 Memory
SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 120 GB 2.5-Inch SATA Internal SSD
Graphic Card: ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 960 OC 2 GB DDR5
Keyboard: Logitech G310 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G302 Gaming Mouse
Screen: Samsung 32"inch LCD TV
PSU: Corsair VS Series VS550 - 550 Watt SMPS
Cabinet: NZXT Phantom 410

pls help me figure out the problem and solve it
Thanks in advance :love:

Can you try a different PSU? Technically 550w is enough but the VS range are really low quality and not suited to gaming PC's due to the long periods of high load. My guess is the PS is starting to fail. The problem is if I am right it could fail completely at any time and if this happens its possible to cause damage to other components. I don't mean to scare you but you need to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

It might be something else but if it is a failing PSU the possible outcomes are not good.

John_485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
I would go out and buy a PSU tester (one that checks under load if possible) and see if it is the psu. But Sizzling is most likely correct, it sounds like it could be a psu problem and you should fix it asap. Go to your nearest Micro Center and buy a PSU tester (they are usually under $20 bucks). Once you've used it you can just take it back and get a refund. Micro Center is an awesome place to shop. There are a lot of good sales going on this weekend so if it is your psu then just buy a new one. You should easily be able to pick up a decent one (EVGA 80+ 500w-650w) for about $50 bucks.

Good luck.

8097Mony

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

Initially even under high load of gaming it never failed nor restarted. It was only after a periodic gap or maybe after upgrading to win10 it randomly restarts. The first known instance of a restart was when I had installed photoshop cc and tried saving a file in a particular file format, it restarted. Since then it restarts without any reason randomly not frequently though but randomly. This had happened a year ago, since then I have played less games, gaming is totally out of question as it can even sustain normal operating. The system has been restored several times and even a fresh installation has also been made. The issue still persists.
I have lately noticed some fluctuations in my house and somehow I feel that thing also must be responsible.

To conclude I think there are several factors affecting the pc.
1.VOLTAGE FLUCTUATIONS.
2.PSU CAN'T SUSTAIN.
3.MOBO ISSUE.
4.SOFTWARE.(MAYBE)

Thanks and Regards.
Ps: These are noob speculations, feel free to make me learn more.

From experience hard resets have been caused by faulty PSU's. All PSU's deteriorate over time, low quality ones under higher loads will age much faster. Now it could be something else but I reckon its the psu.

8097Mony

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

What do you think of the configuration? Is the configuration appropriate and compatible?
can motherboard be a problem?

John_485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
Hey man,

I know you didn't ask me but did you get a psu tester? If you want to know what is going on for sure you're going to need to do something other then ask more questions, and I say that with respect (unless you have a spare rig and want to exhaust every possible avenue, if that is the case I get where you're coming from). Since you did a fresh install of Windows and the problems persist I doubt if your problem lies on the software side of things. It was probably just a coincidence that strange things began to happen right around the time that you made some software changes, but who knows?

Until you take some proactive steps to find out (like testing your psu) then you'll stay in the dark on this issue.

It could be the motherboard, but without a way to test it you'll never know, you know?

Good luck man.

8097Mony

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

thank you, I'm getting my psu tested ASAP, meanwhile i was just exploring to other problems that might be related to random restarts. I'll get back to you on that psu tester soon. that is on the priority list.

8097Mony

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

I did get the PSU Tester and checked everything, the values were all normal.
One of my friend suggested to check the bios version and if any update was due, so I did and I updated my bios.
Since then it has been working normally and there was only one instance of a restart. Even though everything seems fine now, I am still bit skeptical about all this. I am planning to get a Stabilizer UPS to get through it for once and all.

PS:The following are the old problems which are resolved since the bios update. EXCEPT for the screen fluctuation when the doorbell rings.
Whenever the doorbell rang the Screen fluctuated and at times the PC also restarted. When the switches for tube light, fan or bulbs in the same room were switched ON or OFF, the PC used to restart.

Reactions: John_485

TRENDING THREADS