Is it safe to connect DVI to HDMI adapter from monitor to graphics card?

Hi.

I want to ask if i plug DVI to HDMI adapter to monitor instead to the graphics card?

I need to do this because if i plug my 1st monitor into HDMI and the second monitor into DVI, my 2nd monitor became "primary boot display" and the BIOS will shown on my 2nd screen, so i need to reverse the order. Plugging my 1st monitor to DVI and 2nd ones to HDMI.

Yeah I know, its something matter with VGAbios that I couldn't change.

Is it safe?
I fried my 8600gt when applicating this method.

My card is GTX 960 from MSI.

Thanks.

Solution
I just went through this. It should work fine. Nvidia cards have a priority order, usually DVI, then HDMI, and then DisplayPort. If you want the Bios to display on your primary monitor you'll have to plug your monitor into the prioritized port (DVI) or the port that your secondary display that is showing the Bios screen is using.

I had the exact same problem. My Bios was displaying on my secondary so I unplugged the secondary from the graphics port it was on and plugged in my primary display into that port. No problems after that. There is also another way of trying to fix your problem but it didn't work for me and involved shutting down, unplugging all displays except your primary, booting back into windows, then shutting down and...

John_485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
I just went through this. It should work fine. Nvidia cards have a priority order, usually DVI, then HDMI, and then DisplayPort. If you want the Bios to display on your primary monitor you'll have to plug your monitor into the prioritized port (DVI) or the port that your secondary display that is showing the Bios screen is using.

I had the exact same problem. My Bios was displaying on my secondary so I unplugged the secondary from the graphics port it was on and plugged in my primary display into that port. No problems after that. There is also another way of trying to fix your problem but it didn't work for me and involved shutting down, unplugging all displays except your primary, booting back into windows, then shutting down and plugging the secondary back into the graphics card (any port) and rebooting into windows. Again, this did not work for me. The easy fix is to just switch the priority by swapping where the monitors are plugged in at.

Not sure how you fried a card by doing that? Maybe the adapter you used was faulty or just cheaply made? Good luck!

Solution

I tried the trick, fearfully I powered my PC, and Voila! It works!
Maybe I just too paranoid about this thing. I just don't wanna fry my precious $250 GPU again.

No, it's not a "cheapo" adapter. I forget the price but it is a high-quality gold plated one.
I plug that adapter into my monitor and HDMI cable into my 8600gt. when I turn my pc on, I see some spark and hissing sound comes from the card's HDMI slot. then the BIOS beeps and my PC wont turn on until i replace the card.

A sad story that makes me paranoid about "adapters".

Thanks for your Answer!

John_485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
No problem. I'm glad it worked out for you. Strange though, the description you gave about the HDMI port, that is worrying for sure. Did it ever happen again? I hope it hasn't happened since?