Recovering data from locked WD My Passport?

nenko

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Alright, so, I am an idiot who set a password to his WD My Passport Ultra 2TB about two months ago and did not write it down. I did put about 250 gb of personal stuff on the drive. Now I can't remember my password, I do remember about 80% of it, but I must have put some stupid digits at the head or at the tail of the string.

WD say that if you forget your pass, you are, long story short, screwed up. The only option you have is to ERASE EVERYTHING. Woah. Jeeze. I did write to the WD Support, but don't have an answer. I don't have a lot of hope for a positive answer, though.

So, my option seems to be to erase everything and then try to recover it. I don't like it at all and it scares me, because I can't think of loosing even a byte that data I have on the drive, everything is personal and valuable to me.
Has anyone been through that? Has anyone erased their password-protected WD My Passport using WD's tool and then recovered the data? Has anyone contacted WD regarding this?

I am so desperate that I am willing to wait years without using my drive, until a solution is found. I know that it is much better to try and remember the password, but I just can't get it right.
Do you guys have any other suggestions? Like, what else can I do, considering that I do remember part of the password? ANYTHING would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Everything could go smoothly if I get a positive answer from WD Support staff, but I just doubt it..

Welcome to the TH Community, @Nenko!

Unfortunately, @bignastyid is right. Our customer support also most probably explained to you what is the situation. :( You could definitely try recovering your data after the full erase but nobody can determine how successful that procedure would be. I believe you shouldn't have set a password in the first place as the data recovery after the resetting/reformatting of your WD My Passport would be difficult. Since these files are so important to you, I'd advise you to always keep duplicates of them. Backing up means that you have your data stored in at least two (2) locations. Moving data from your system drive to an external hard drive is not a backup, unless there is already a duplicate of the file on a different drive!

If these files are so important to you, then you should probably consider the assistance of a Professional Data Recovery Company. They would be your best chance at getting any of the content back.

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD