Windows doesn't boot when I turn on my system just goes to Bios.

Ozaiak

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Alright this may be pretty long but I have two drives in my system an SSD and an HDD. I installed windows 10 on my SSD and after it was installed it worked perfectly but after I turned off my system and turned it back on it went straight to the Bios instead of automatically booting Windows 10. I rearranged my boot priorities and same thing happened. after windows was installed on my boot menu there are three drives instead of two. I have my HDD, my SSD, and the third drive reads "Windows boot manager (p:3 Samsung SSD...etc.)." when I go into the boot menu and click on the boot manager it launches windows just fine. but when I'm in windows I cannot access the bios unless I reset or shutdown and turn back on my system. Is there something I did wrong in the process of installing windows? What is Windows boot manager?

Solution
You should have Windows boot manager as first item in list, this matches the way your UEFI boots. What Windows Boot MAnager does is set the order of drives the PC will boot from - that is why it lists the SSD after its name.

It's normal, the same happens on my system.

The following explanation was found on Wikipedia:
Unlike BIOS, UEFI does not rely on a boot sector, defining instead a boot manager as part of the UEFI specification. When a computer is powered on, the boot manager checks the boot configuration and, based on its settings, loads and executes the specified operating system loader or operating system kernel. The boot configuration is a set of global-scope variables stored in NVRAM, including the boot variables that...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should have Windows boot manager as first item in list, this matches the way your UEFI boots. What Windows Boot MAnager does is set the order of drives the PC will boot from - that is why it lists the SSD after its name.

It's normal, the same happens on my system.

The following explanation was found on Wikipedia:
Unlike BIOS, UEFI does not rely on a boot sector, defining instead a boot manager as part of the UEFI specification. When a computer is powered on, the boot manager checks the boot configuration and, based on its settings, loads and executes the specified operating system loader or operating system kernel. The boot configuration is a set of global-scope variables stored in NVRAM, including the boot variables that indicate the paths to operating system loaders or kernels, which as a component class of UEFI applications are stored as files on the firmware-accessible EFI System partition (ESP).

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/32127-uefi-windows-boot-manager.html

what is on the hdd? Was it in PC when you installed win 10?

If you want to get into bios from in windows, go to settings/update & security/recovery/Advanced Start up - Press the Restart now button
this loads you into a blue screen
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware Settings - this should load you into the BIOS

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Ozaiak!

I'd recommend you check how your system boots with only the SSD connected to the motherboard. You need to unplug the secondary HDD from there. Also did you perform a clean install of the OS onto the SSD or did you clone Windows from the HDD using a cloning tool? When doing a clean install, it's really important to unplug the secondary drive from the system, otherwise you might probably encounter an OS confusion which would result in similar booting issues. I'd also advise you to boot into Windows and check your Disk Management . Posting a screenshot from there would really help me assist you.
I'd also advise you to backup your data somewhere off-site before you proceed with the troubleshooting!

Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Sounds like your Boot Manager is corrupted. Recommend that you first try running Startup Repair to repair any damaged components. If that doesn't work (which there's a chance it won't) then you'll need to re-install the OS which will replace your damaged Boot Manager with a new one. So that will definitely work, only thing is that you'll lose any data on the machine.

Regardless, you'll want to run a backup, and a daily one at that. Recommend a snapshot tool like Comodo Time Machine or RollBack Rx.