what is happening with recent AAA games ????

H0l1cr4p

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
as you know, some AAA games was released recently with bad performance (Batman arkham knight, Assassin's Creed and Dishonored 2 few days ago ...). So my point is, what the hell wrong with publishers, why did they keep releasing unfinished, broken games with such poor optimisation and high demand system requirements even though they did not look really better ? where is the time when producers release finished games with good optimisations and reasonable system ?
P/S: sorry I'm a newbie with this forum, so if i make mistakes, please do tell me. Also, my spec is not really high but it is supposed to run games fairly with medium-high settings. This thread appeared after those frustrated feelings i had with Dishonored 2 and other games (specially Dishonored 2 since I'm so hype for this game)

H0l1cr4p

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016

Actually, I do not often read reviews but also did not preoder games, and with refund policies of valve, I started thinking they should check and polish games better

This isn't news. It's been happening for years. Publishers push games out the door before they're done, and rely on developers to release patches to "finish" the game. This is why we constantly get patches on the day a game is released.

Again, they already get have your money, why should they make a better product?

B:AK was a rare exception, but AC and D2 didn't get full refunds, because they worked, barely.

No Man's Sky is another example, but because it took you more than 2 hours to see that there was nothing there, noone could really refund it.

The problem is like ss202sl states. The developers don't get a say in anything. They are told the game will be released on a certain date weather it works or not. It almost takes an act of god for them to push back the release date to make the product more polished. They would rather deal with the bad press than push back the release date.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
A few things have happened.

First, most systems are now online and connected to a high speed internet connection. Publishers know if something doesn't work they can always push out a patch later. Compare this with cartridge based consoles where it has to work when it's released because they can't fix it. This has lead to a bug creep so someone can get a game out before others

Second, people buy games primarily because of hype. Titanfall 2 and COD Infinite Warfare are examples. They know people will line up to buy a game they know nothing about simply because of the hype train. There really isn't a need to make a good game anymore.

Third, people continue to buy games after a publisher releases absolute crap, apparently they have really short memories. Remember when BF4, AC3, and Batman Arkham City ran like crap and had a shit ton of patches released so they games would be playable? And yet people still went and bought the very next version of the game thinking it would be better. And they were shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that they released games a year later that were broken.

How do we fix this? Stop preordering games and if a publisher has a history of releasing broken games stop buy all the games from that publisher. At this point I won't buy anything else from EA, WB, Ubisoft, and a few others because they release broken games on a consistent basis. I know it isn't much but hopefully other people will start to do the same.