Asus PG279Q return or stick with it?

ALexTheDood

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hey, i just got a new Asus PG279Q monitor. I love the monitor overall, the new resolution compared to 1080p is amazing and looks glorious in games.

But obviously i would check this product for dead pixels and backlight bleeding, and i got both of those. Since i paid 850€ I'm thinking of returning it, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions first.

I got a red dead pixel on the left side of the screen which can be seen on bright colours such as: white, grey, green, yellow etc... I can see this dead pixel on reddit for example, or in brighter scenes in games if i look in that area of the dead pixel. You don't notice it right away, but since i know where the pixel is at, i tend to look for it sometimes.

http://imgur.com/a/ujPRj (The arrow is messed up, pixel is a bit above it)

Now onto backlight bleeding, the left side corners are mostly fine i'd say, but the right side especially bottom is stronger.

Look here: http://m.imgur.com/a/miKKc

So what do you think ? Should i just return and play the lottery or stick with it?

It would appear that you have no grounds for a return:

1. Most panels warrant that the panel will be free from a certain number of dead pixels ... that number often ranges up to 8 - 10. Consult your warranty; if it's 1 or more, you are out of luck.

2. You chose an IPS panel. The glow you are seeing is typical of IPS panels, the larger the screen, the greater the effect.

I have been pretty lucky with regard to dead pixels but. like you said, it's the luck of the draw. As for the "bleeding", it it bleeding or is it "IPS Glow" ? The 1440p panels from Acer and Asus in the $700+ price niche were the first that I saw as capable for gaming. And while they solved the problem of response time and lag, "IPS Glow" remains a significant downside of IPS panels.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

On a black image there is a characteristic white glow when viewed from an angle, commonly referred to as "IPS-glow". This is common on most modern IPS-type panels and can be distracting to some users. The level of glow here is the same as the other recent high refresh rate IPS panels we've seen like the Acer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q and is pretty typical of a modern IPS-type panel. If you view dark content from a normal head-on viewing position, you can actually see this glow slightly as your eyes look towards the edges of the screen. Some people may find this problematic if they are working with a lot of dark content or solid colour patterns.

P1120480_small.JPG

Above: demonstrating IPS-glow commonly confused with backlight bleed.

We want to make a point at this stage relating to IPS glow. The above image shows the corners of the screen as observed from a central viewing position, at a normal viewing distance of a couple of feet from the screen. As you look towards the corners of the screen you can see a glow and pale areas on the dark content. This is not backlight bleed! We see many reports of users who mistake IPS glow which is a panel characteristic, for backlight bleed which is a build quality issue. This glow in the corners is caused by your angle of vision when viewing the screen and is because of the pixel structure on the IPS panel. If you view the screen from even wider angles (like the image shown above it) the glow becomes more white and pale. This IPS glow is a "feature" of nearly every IPS-type panel on the market, so as a buyer you should be expecting it. It's not grounds for a return of the screen as a fault when it is just a feature of the panel technology. The bigger the screen, and the wider the field of view, the more obvious this glowing from the corners will be.

Wide viewing angles from IPS panel technology meaning several people could view the screen at once comfortable and from a whole host of different angles. White glow from an angle on black content may be problematic to some users and is common for IPS panel technology.

The TN Film PG278Q still has a place though in the market and might actually be preferred for some. It's about £150 cheaper than the new model and if you don't need the extra HDMI input and don't really need to use the screen for other uses beyond gaming it would still be an excellent choice. The TN Film panel might feel a little more fluid in use, but we preferred the balance here on the PG279Q without overshoot and still very good motion clarity. There's less glow on dark content from the TN Film model, which is perhaps the main weakness now of IPS technology.

ALexTheDood

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Alright, this has been a "special" kind of experience with those monitors.

At this moment of writing I am at my 5th replacement monitor. When i got the 4th, i thought this is the best looking one in terms of BLB, but then my 5th came in and for the first time it doesn't have strong bleed in the bottom right side corner, "just" top right and bottom left.

See: http://imgur.com/a/nUlyV

So far: 1/5 had a dead pixel
3/5 Dirt under the AG Coating
5/5 Backlight Bleed - 4/5 had most severe in bottom right side corner, only the last one doesn't.

I don't know how long they'll keep replacing those monitors tbh.