HELP! Why can't I get 4K @ 60 Hz? Detailed breakdown inside

veggiesama

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
I am unable to output 4K @ 60 Hz from my PC to my TV. I am stuck at 30 Hz no matter what I try.

Please help me troubleshoot my connection.

TELEVISION
LG 60UH6550 (HDMI IN) -- HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color turned ON

• ■ Display Format 4K UHD 2160p
    ■ HDMI Port(s) 3 (HDCP 2.2)

PC GFX CARD
XFX AMD Radeon R9 280x (DisplayPort 1.2 OUT)

• ■ Display Port ready : 1.2
    ■ HDMI Ready : 1.4a
    ■ Max Supported Resolution (DIGITAL) : 2560 x 1600(DVI);4096 x 2160(HDMI;DP)
    ■ ((((I am also using Windows 10 with the latest AMD Catalyst drivers))))

HDMI Cable
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable

• ■ Meets the latest HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions
    ■ 25 foot length

DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
Cable Matters Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Supporting 4K 60Hz Display & Eyefinity Technology

GFX Card (Mini DisplayPort) => Adapter => HDMI Cable => Television

Every part of the chain should be compatible with 4K @ 60 Hz. The TV is compatible and the HDMI cable is compatible. The GFX card is not compatible under HDMI 1.4 (which limits 4K to 30 Hz), but it should be compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 and allow 4K @ 60 Hz. Sadly, 4K@60Hz simply does not appear as an option in Windows 10. I believe the Cable Matters DisplayPort to HDMI adapter should work here, but it does not seem to help.

What can be done to fix this situation? Is there something wrong with my connection, or is the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter at fault here?

Thanks!

Solution
Why the need for the DP adapter - ? - Can't (you / we) just run HDMI from current gen cards to a 4K TV and get it that way - as long as the HDMI cable is 2.0 version...???
I have a Asus GTX 1070 Turbo w/ 2 DP outputs and 2 HDMI outputs (and 1 DVI) and will be wanting to eventually get 4K. I'll be running the HDMI from the card into a 4K ready audio receiver (Pioneer) then to TV.

veggiesama

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016

Are you sure? The AmazonBasics cable says it uses the "latest HDMI standards", 4K Video @ 60 Hz, 18 Gbps, and I just bought it last week. However it's strange that I can't find the standard it uses. Should be 2.0, right?

Your cable should be fine. HDMI 2.0 still uses the same cabling as long as it's rated high speed. That having been said, it won't hurt to try with a different cable. It looks like your card just isn't detecting the TV correctly. Have you tried unchchecking Hide modes that this monitor cannot display?

veggiesama

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016

Thanks for replying but no luck. Only 30Hz and lower are displayed: http://imgur.com/a/Vf0me

I had a nice chat with an Amazon rep, and she agreed to refund the old cable ($10) and allow me to purchase a new cable ($12), also waiving the shipping fee. This is the one I chose:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA11IU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It specifically says HDMI 2.0, and it's a shorter 10' cable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also sent an email to Cable Matters in regards to the DisplayPort=>HDMI adapter hoping they can help me troubleshoot.

edit: not DVI!

you dont need dvi?

Alex Paul

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Your cable should be fine. HDMI 2.0 still uses the same cabling as long as it's rated high speed. That having been said, it won't hurt to try with a different cable. It looks like your card just isn't detecting the TV correctly. Have you tried unchchecking Hide modes that this monitor cannot display?

veggiesama

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
I received the following email from Cable Matters after I described my story:

----------
Hi <name>,

Thank you for getting back to us with that.

Since your order was placed back in March, you could have unfortunately received the older version adapter that was only able to reach 30Hz. However, that adapter is still covered under our Cable Matters one year warranty replacement service so we can definitely replace that with the new 60Hz version for you. Please return your adapter to...

(and so on.)

---------

My adapter was replaced, and I am now getting 4k @ 60 Hz.

Manupmate

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Why the need for the DP adapter - ? - Can't (you / we) just run HDMI from current gen cards to a 4K TV and get it that way - as long as the HDMI cable is 2.0 version...???
I have a Asus GTX 1070 Turbo w/ 2 DP outputs and 2 HDMI outputs (and 1 DVI) and will be wanting to eventually get 4K. I'll be running the HDMI from the card into a 4K ready audio receiver (Pioneer) then to TV.

Solution