I'm confused about freesync, need help!

Nik Golob

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello
I'm planning to buy a new monitor with the new rig and I'm looking at viewsonic xg2401 and I'm really confused how games like fifa 17,rome 2,skyrim,witcher 3,crysis 3 ....run with fresync on 144 hz monitor
Will it suffer from stutter or screen tearing? Will this games be smooth like fps games ? I don't know how it will work and yes can you cap fast pace games at lets say 140 fps so it won't exceed the top range limit and if u cap it what will change? Stutter or possoble screen tearnig or it will be the same just you won't have to worry that it will exceed over?

I know my english isn't that good but can someone try an solve this for me
I would be very thankful
Have a good day :)

Solution
Freesync works the same whatever game you're playing, but most monitors with freesync or gsync will require a minimum framerate to work properly in Freesync/Gsync mode. This is usually somewhere around 30-40FPS, so if you're going to be getting anything lower than that it's best to disable Freesync for those games.
Freesync eliminates screen tearing and minimizes stutter. It also works like Vsync in the sense that if the game is about to exceed your monitor's refresh rate the GPU will just slow down instead of rendering extra frames, but unlike Vsync it doesn't hurt performance or latency.

Keep in mind Freesync only works with AMD graphics cards though.

Nik Golob

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
So yo don't need to cap fps in games
What about games i mentioned above where you can't get high fps does freesync work the same?
Do you have a freesync monitor and how good does it work?

Freesync works the same whatever game you're playing, but most monitors with freesync or gsync will require a minimum framerate to work properly in Freesync/Gsync mode. This is usually somewhere around 30-40FPS, so if you're going to be getting anything lower than that it's best to disable Freesync for those games.

Solution