Keep getting BSOD Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

jason712

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
For sometime now I've been getting a BSOD with the following error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

This was ocurring every two days but recently has been happening everyday.

I used WhoCrashed me to see if I could see what was the causing the issue but unable to identify anything. Perhaps someone here could understand it better. Thanks.

-------------------

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DESKTOP-ECNLSTQ
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8555470848 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 21/11/2016 13:35:16 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF802B75F1FD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF802B75F1FD0, 0xFFFFF802B75F1F28, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

On Thu 17/11/2016 17:43:18 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111716-7953-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A510)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFAE018BAD3FD0, 0xFFFFAE018BAD3F28, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 06/11/2016 17:31:34 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110616-8187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A3B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFD680F791AFD0, 0xFFFFD680F791AF28, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 03/11/2016 09:40:55 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110316-10281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A3B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFF8000DAD2FFD0, 0xFFFF8000DAD2FF28, 0x0)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Solution
Well if there is no win10 driver on the website it normally means that the win10 standard driver should be ok. If the default one throws an Code10 error i would try the win8 one. After all it could be worth the try. The worst thing happening is a driver loading problem and Code 10 again or a wrong allocation of the hardware and more bluescreens. In that case just start in secure mode and delete the driver.

thehutti

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
This error is caused most of the time by a bad driver or faulty RAM. If you installed a new driver like graphic card driver or so on you should remove it and reinstall it. To test the memory, windows has a memory diagnosis tool you could run (just google it) or if there is a problem starting windows then there is the option of starting memtest86 from a ubuntu live cd. The problem with this type of error is that it just says somewhere in the NTKernel a problem occured but the kernel is big and the error is not telling exactly what caused the problem except some addresses that could be entirely different in every installation.

jason712

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
First, thank you both for your suggestions. I'm following the link GameFreak01048 sent, just did the memory diagnostics and no issues were found so my RAM is still good luckily. I also used the driver verifier and no unassigned drivers were found alongside checking my hard drives with no issues present. Currently using system checker to see if anything can be found.

Looking into Device manager, one of my Standard SATA AHCI Controller has a Code 10 error
An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.

Not sure if that's the culprit and if so how do I fix it?

I

thehutti

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Well the failure in the SATA Controller could be the cause of the problem too. As stated in an older TomsHardware thread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2837135/ahci-sata-controller-issue-code.html) the code 10 shows a problematic driver and should be reinstalled.

The AHCI drivers should be part of the mainboard drivers that came with the mainboard or most of the time can be downloaded from the manufactureres website

jason712

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
That's kind of what I'm thinking, I've uninstalled my Nvdia drivers anyway. Annoyingly on the Asus website there are no Sata drivers for my motherboard under Windows 10 64bit, there is under Windows 8 64bit but not sure it's a good idea to install that one.

jason712

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I decided to go ahead and install the Sata driver under the Windows 8 64bit version on the ASUS website and now the error in my device manager has gone so fingers crossed it's either the Nvidia driver or sata driver that was the issue.

thehutti

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Well if there is no win10 driver on the website it normally means that the win10 standard driver should be ok. If the default one throws an Code10 error i would try the win8 one. After all it could be worth the try. The worst thing happening is a driver loading problem and Code 10 again or a wrong allocation of the hardware and more bluescreens. In that case just start in secure mode and delete the driver.

Solution