Unacceptable "from the web" ADS/Fake News cluttering all news and articles - Sexist and NSFW

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
What is with all the "from the web" clickbait ads on all your articles and news?

I just saw one page, it had no less than 15 rows of 3 links to "from the web news". Most of them showing a click-bait image of a sexy woman that is sexist and misogynistic in it's own concept, and not safe for work. Do you want us to be unable to read your articles from work?

"Ads by rev content" is in small print, but Toms lists it in big letters as "from the web". Are you trying to mislead us to believe fake news as real news? This stuff is complete junk.

This is unacceptable. As a long time reader of tomshardware, I am offended and you've just lost a loyal reader.

Noscript or adblock is your friend.

Noscript is my favorite.

Haven't seen an ad on toms in years lol.

The worst were those ads that were melded into words on the page that would pop up big with an ad when i moused over them.

Noscript breaks the functionality of too many websites for me.

I personally use a hosts file. (link) I prefer the hosts file because it works on Windows, Linux, and Android. So I can use it on my PC, Tablet, and Phone. Not to mention it works even on websites that look for the adblock add-on and block you out.

On websites that lock you out anyways because you block ads, oh well, I don't go there.

Flashblock is another good way to kill stuff, but with flash slowly starting to get phased out this is getting less useful.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
That's a fine solution at home.

I can't install such things on my work computer. The root of the problem is the site's web design, and their choice of allowing such ads on their page.

Because forum feedback is the proper venue for questions/comments concerning the site as a whole.

TRENDING THREADS