Is Software RAID 5 broken in Server 2012 with Adaptec 1405 SAS card?

Ted_22

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
Hi All,

I have a SuperMicro Xeon X3430 2.4Ghz with 16GB of ram and an Adaptec ASC 1405/1405 SAS controller, and 4 500GB Seagate ST 35005 disks installed.

I loaded Server 2012 on the first disk and attempted to set the remaining 3 disks into a software RAID 5 using the wizard. The only thing NOT from Microsoft so far loaded is the Adaptec driver for the card that is for Server 2012.

The system took it then listed the disks as "resyncing" I left it alone and checked it 48 hours later and no change. I then tried Refreshing disk manager to see a percentage on the resync and Disk Manager hung. I let it sit for another hour, still hung. diskpart at the command line could not attach and I tried closing and reopening disk manager, nothing.

Finally I shut down - after closing all services it hung. I power cycled it and went into the card BIOS and reformatted the first thousand sectors of the 3 disks then rebooted back into Server 2012. (this clears the disk signatures so it won't attempt to restart the resync on boot.

I went back into Disk Manager and this time setup disk 2 and 3 as a mirror. This worked IMMEDIATELY. I set disk 4 up as another basic disk (I'll use it for an internal backup)

Now, I know of course that this Adaptec card is cheap and cheesy - after all I bought it from a used computer store for $5 - and I know of course that software RAID 5 has to do the parity calculation so it's going to be slow. But, this wasn't an issue of it being slow - it was an issue of the disk service basically just froze completely when trying to put the remaining 3 disks into a RAID 5 array. No lights were blinking on the 3 disks either.

Another thing that was weird in the wizard was that when adding the disks to the RAID 5 array it said the total array size would only be 500GB. For 3 500GB disks in a RAID 5 array that should have been higher.

Ted_22

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
Just a followup on this - turned out that one of the disks was bad - it quick formatted and formatted in the RAID card menu but when heavy copying of files to it was done the disk had problems. I replaced it and
all is well.

oceancntyguy08005

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
did you end up with roughly 1.5tb useable on the 2tb volume ?
I'm looking at hardware raid 5 with 4x5tb hdd's and hoping for 15tb useable.
the way i'm understanding the research, the parity strips as many times on each disk as the number of disks and useable space will be the volume minus the smallest drive.