Is my CPU cooler going to cut it??

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on a concern I'm having about cooling my new cpu. I picked up an i7-6700k and I'm looking to overclock anywhere in the 4.5-4.7ghz range (hopefully). I originally intended on picking up a beautiful Cryorig R1 ultimate, and tbh I'm still leaning towards it. I just wanted to know if it will provide enough cooling while maintaining a decent dB level? Or if anyone had any other suggestions.
Thanks.

P.s. I'm really not interested in the Noctua line, super ugly stock, and too much up front investment to customize them.

Luminary

Admirable
The Cryorig R1 will be able to keep the i7-6700k quite cool without issue.

Take a look a the Tweak Town review here if you want to see some heat threasholds after robust testing: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6083/cryorig-r1-ultimate-cpu-cooler-review/index9.html

In the review above the R1 received the Editor's Choice Award. They tested on the i7-4770k (which runs hotter then then Skylake 6700k), and were able to keep all temps at around 50c, which is excellent.

Edit: Also, I recommend taking a look at the Intel Temperature Guide here on Tom's, it's a great resource to peruse to get a sense of healthy temperature ranges for Intel CPU's.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The R1 is great and is a solid choice. There are too many variables involved for me to go quoting your potential max overclock speed, but 4.5ghz is realistic and 4.7ghz may be attainable. Don't expect it to make a significant difference in performance though.

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I had come across a few reviews, including tweak towns, which Is why I was confused to run into some negative opinions towards the r1. Maybe because of the noise or the price I suspect, belt seeing as it's going in a define r5 I don't think that will be a problem. My main concern was it's overclocking capabilities, that seem to be more than adequate.

Luminary

Admirable

No problem.

Yes, as you can see from the likes of the HardOCP review the R1's biggest complaint is the price point. Even with that consideration it was awarded the Editor's Choice Gold Award on OCP for its cooling performance for overclocked systems.

As you already noted the Define R5 will house the R1 without issue. A very good choice for air cooling all-around.