What is the best gaming g-sync monitor, make/model with good quality?

jasonayer

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I'm looking into purchasing a monitor for my new computer and I've pretty much decided on the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q (27 inch IPS display, 2560x1440, 144Hz refresh rate). The pricing seems not too high but after reading several recent reviews that came in on Newegg, it seems that there is a BIG QC issue with this model. Evidently there is a bad back light bleed issue, lack of ULMB support with g-sync, and occasional reports of dead pixel or displays going bad. I've been researching other alternatives, namely the Acer Predator XB271HU. But being an IPS display as well, this one seems to succumb to back light bleed issues as well.

My question is what if any are good gaming g-sync monitors with little to no back light issues? Or is it my understanding that IPS displays are going to suffer more with this issue than TN displays? I was watching the Overwatch Cup at BlizzCon and noticed they were using ASUS monitors. So that has to be worth something right?

the PG278Q is a TN display
the PG279Q is the IPS variaton

there is no screen to my knowledge that enables ULMB with G-Sync

as far as I've seem there's no IPS G-Sync screen with a high refresh rate that doesn't come with the mentioned problems
mainly as the ASUS and the Acer and the AOC (I think they did one as well) all use the same panel under a different brand

IPS screens suffer from backlight bleed.
TNs on the other hand suffer from pixel inversion.

generally it's more of a lottery right now as all the brands suffer with quality issues currently.

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016
What are your computer specs? Keep in mind that 144 fps in 2k would be equivalent to 70+ fps in 4k, which you're probably never going to get. $700+ for a monitor is just disgusting from my point of view, especially when people call it a 'lottery' where even after dropping $700, you don't know if you have a good product or a bad one. ASUS is the main one that I've heard having quality issues, but I imagine others too. I imagine that ASUS gave those screens to them as a form of sponsorship.
Other than that, I barely ever hear about TN's having problems, whereas the IPS is known to have lost of problems with backlight bleed.

2k/144Hz is not the same as 4k/70Hz.
You can barely make this calculation with 1080p - 2k but 4k has so many more pixels that 2k/144Hz is actually easier

Anyway, TNs don't suffer from the same issues as IPS panels do due to the different technology but come with problems of their own.
Generally they got less issues since the technology is longer around and more settled. But things like dead pixels or darker areas along with pixel inversion don't stop from TN displays

High refresh rates IPS displays are a pretty new technology and to my knowledge there's only one panel so far that all the brands rebrand under their name. But this panel is far from flawless atm.

Asus, Acer, AOC, Dell they all struggle.
BenQ & LG (the only company to actually produce and develop panels themselves) a bit less, but they can't yet provide something close to the specs of the other companies.

High refresh rate IPS screens are just too new to be completely save in terms of quality.
Either go with a nice TN with high refresh rate and G-Sync
Or an IPS with 60/75Hz

bwinzey

Respectable
Jun 26, 2016
2k = 2560x1440 = 3,686,400 pixels per frame, multiply that by 144fps, you get 530,841,600 pixels per second which you need to render.

4k = 3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels per frame, multiply that by 70fps, you get 580,608,000 pixels per second which you need to render.

530,841,600/580,608,000 = .914 = 91.4% = 2k@144fps requires 91.4% of what 4k@70fps requires to render.

Yeah I just did this calculation with 2k and 4k, say what you want but those are the numbers.

As I was saying, TN's do have their problems, but they are older, and much more refined than IPS. Any well-made TN would out-perform, out-last, and simply have less problems than it's equally priced IPS counterpart. Yes, TN's do sometimes have, as stated in the post above, problems with dead pixels and pixel inversion, but these problems, in high-quality displays, are NOWHERE as frequent as a backlight bleed problem with an IPS display in the same price range (they're so frequent in IPS that people are calling it a 'panel lottery').

It's your money to spend, but personally I wouldn't spend $700 on a monitor, especially an IPS monitor, which is almost guaranteed to have problems at some point, no matter how much you pay for it.