Resetting factory settings

MrHeda

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Heres the story: When Ive built my computer windows 10 didnt exist at the time so I purchased an OEM widows 8 disc. The guys that put my pc together also installed the windows using the windows 8 oem disc, when widows 10 came out I upgraded my win 8 to win 10 for free. Now its after the free upgrade period and Id like to ask if I reset my system to factory settings and choose to delete all files and programs, including personal files, will it revert to a fresh windows 8 or a fresh windows 10? If it would revert to windows 8 will I be able to install windows 10 for free again if I had the windows 10 previously installed on the computer?

Solution
Its likely it will only reinstall win 10

Just in case, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB/DVD and then you can just upgrade win 8 using the DVD if it goes that far back.

Personally, I would just fresh install using Win 10. When you reach part of install asking for licence key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate since its been on PC already

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its likely it will only reinstall win 10

Just in case, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB/DVD and then you can just upgrade win 8 using the DVD if it goes that far back.

Personally, I would just fresh install using Win 10. When you reach part of install asking for licence key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate since its been on PC already

Solution