[SOLVED] Laptop freezing at shutdown/restart screen, randomly....

luks104

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Hello
Recently I bought a laptop without an operating system (freedos). I installed windows 10 (pre anniversary build) which I got from a local (legitimate) bussiness. Installed every update, including the anniversary one. Updated all the drivers, installed programs for personal use. The problem is, that my laptop froze randomly while using the laptop (not intense load). Tested every hardware: ram, cpu, gpu,.. everything is stable. I'm guessing the drivers... I tried to do a fresh install, wiped the harddrive, everything. I'm clueless. The logs are also "empty", it just says unexpected shutdown, because I always hard reset, by pressing the power button for about 7 seconds. It sometimes freezes when I shutdown. It gets to the windows shutdown screen, then the screen goes black and the computer initiates the fan on full power. When it freezes at shutdown, I have to restart the computer, because it usually freezes at the sign in screen after it freezes at shutdown. When I sometimes restart it gets stuck at the restarting screen and the circle spinning around till there is a blue screen.
I'm clueless, usually I solve my computer problems, but I am clueless here.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Luka
Edit: when it freezes there is no response from the mouse/keyboard/ctrl+alt+del and the fan starts to spin at full rpm
Edit no. 2: Specs: i7 6700HQ, nvidia 950m, 16 gigs of ram, laptop brand-asus

Solution
Finally got to return the laptop into warranty. Result: laptop is running error-free after a replacement of the motherboard.

luks104

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Got a solution: uninstalled the intel graphics driver, installed a newer version and the problem is gone. Seems that the outdated drivers was causing the freezes.
Cheers
Luka

luks104

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
So apparently it freezes when I have my battery out and running off the wall, noticed yesterday. Still haven't got a fix, but I think I'll try to reinstall windows with all the drivers, to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I'll return it under warranty.

Takhs_

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

Glad i found this forum. I am experiencing excactly the same symptoms. I have asus x550v with i7 6700hq and nvidia gtx 950M. What you describe is what it happens every day. I installed an early version of windows 10. Version 10.240 which seems more stable for my computer. However freeze still happens and fan speed up. Also i disabled all secondary start up windows app
. Now it happen less often. What i have to mention is that 80% of freeze happens when disk usage is at 100%. Not always but the majority of times.

My friend is your windows 7 still stable? What about the asus drivers? My laptop has drivers only for windows 10.

luks104

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014

Hi, finally a reply :D
No, laptop still freezes on windows 7, and I don't know what to do next. I'm thinking about returning it under warranty as it's impossible to do any work on it.
Cheers

Takhs_

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
What a crap. I bought a machine of 850euro to make my life easier and it is as crap as hell. I have also a cheap lenovo laptop of 300 euro which is so stable like the old mobile phone nokia 3310. I have dual os in this new laptop. Also have ubuntu installed which have not crashed yet. Dont know if it is a windows issue or a hardware issue. In my case it is a known bug for freezing in skylake processors.

Takhs_

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Found a solution. I cross my fingers until now!

I searched for power options in windows 10
I clicked on advanced power options and a new window came up
I changed PCI power savings to moderate power saving so my devices are always powered with enough power.
I changed my wireless adapter power savings to Maximum performance.

Until now no problem and I try to push my laptop at its limits. Heavy gaming and heavy apps and installations.
I made those changes because i read in windows logs that my graphic card and my wireless adapter was some of the causes of the freeze.