Monitor started going black 2 seconds after turning on, turning down brightness all the way fixed it.

DaftHacker

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
So i have a Hannspree HF257 monitor that I've owned for like 6-8 years and i was playing some Black Ops III with my little brother and all the sudden the screen turns black but the blue indicator is still on meaning the monitor isn't in sleep mode or off. So i looked online and someone said to turn the brightness down and it worked but now if i want to turn the brightness up more its starts incrementally flickering and then eventually the screen shuts off again, does anyone know what causes this problem and if it can be a "home" fix ? I really don't have the money for a new monitor right now.

as that monitor uses a regular power cord not an adapter means there is 2 circuit boards in that monitor, power board & video controller. you might have a domed capacitor on 1 of those 2 boards. have you ever taken something apart before then put it back together working?

DaftHacker

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

I took it apart and inspected everything and there doesn't seem to be any apparent damage. I also unplugged 1 of the backlight power connectors as there are 4 and the screen turns off with 0 brightness set so maybe there is something to be explored there.