Need some fast Sata ssds

matthew4mckeever

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Looking for some of the fastest sata ssds.
I am most likely going to get a samsung one like a 850 evo or pro.

But, I'm wondering, is there any actual sata ssd's that are faster than the 850 series, (not really wanting to get an intel one coz the prices are way higher)

matthew4mckeever

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Well I mean yeah I was gonna get an m.2 nvme ssd with a pcie adapter, but I cant, contacted gigabyte, motherboard doesnt support nvme.

i have m2

to be honest you wouldnt notice the difference from a ssd as ssds are so fast any way

if i booted from my 850 evo it would seem just as fast

its when you have more than one m2 drive or raided ssds to copy to/ from m2 then it just blows away a ssd

Define "fast"
Do you need sequential speed or random speed.
Is this primarily read oriented or write oriented.
Are you mostly single actions, or is this a server environment.
Do you have a budget.

Sata ssd devices do not differ much in performance.
Samsung 850 Pro is probably the best; particularly for writes.
Larger ssd devices will perform better than smaller ones.

I do not know why a Samsung 950 pro would not work with a pcie X4 adapter.
The 950 pro needs a Samsung supplied NVMe driver to work properly.You will get some 4x the sequential speed out of the device.
Here is one combo:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1236391&gclid=CJjHm_uCwtACFQNDhgodcYUK3Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C116777138042%2C&A=details&Q=

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
SATA 3 speeds are limited to 600MBps, so you won't find faster SATA SSDs than the 850. You would have to go M.2 / PCIe to see faster speeds.

The 850 EVO is a great drive, and you'll be fine with it. Unless you're doing some heavy workload with deep queue depths and large sequential read/write, you really don't need more than an 850.

matthew4mckeever

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

One last thing, do you know of any other sata SSDs that are around the same performance as the 850 evo. I was originally going to get a 120gb 850 evo but now it looks like there are no sellers for it anymore.

I asked before about using 750 evos in raid, and apparently they are not good for raid. Would the 750 evo be good enough for non raid situations, and will the speeds be similar?