Windows 10 desktop won't shut down properly

michaelkelly

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
So the other day my computer started to sleep/shut down incorrectly. I choose sleep/shut down and then my displays turn off, the computer sounds like its about to power off but never actually does. I've tried numerous options that I've found online and nothing has worked.

I've tried:
- restoring my power settings
- installing updates: its up to date
- updating bios
- tried windows troubleshooter: no problems found
- turned off fast startup

When it started to do this I hadn't changed any settings, I didn't download any programs, it just randomly started to do this. It does it whether I sleep it or if the computer is left unattended and tries to go to sleep. Once it is on there are no problems at all. I'm not sure if it is a software problem or a hardware problem.

I built the computer myself over a year and half ago and have had no problems since. I'll list the specs down below.

motherboard: Msi z97a gaming 7
cpu: i5-4790k
ssd: samsung 850 evo 120gb
hdd: WD blue 1tb
psu: evga supernova 750 g2
ram: g.skill ripjaws x series 16gb

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @michaelkelly!

So far, you have done a great job with the troubleshooting! You mentioned that all your drivers are up to date, but I'd suggest you make sure that their are installed manually from the motherboard manufacturer's official website, rather than using Windows Updates to do this. The OS updates tend to install more generic and a bit outdated drivers which could cause such system issues. Find your motherboard model's official webpage and check its available downloads & utilities for Windows 10. You should be able to find all the latest drivers. Start with the chipset drivers & tools.
As a last resort, I'd recommend you consider re-installing the OS altogether, but first backup your files off-site...
Welcome to the TH Community, @michaelkelly!

So far, you have done a great job with the troubleshooting! You mentioned that all your drivers are up to date, but I'd suggest you make sure that their are installed manually from the motherboard manufacturer's official website, rather than using Windows Updates to do this. The OS updates tend to install more generic and a bit outdated drivers which could cause such system issues. Find your motherboard model's official webpage and check its available downloads & utilities for Windows 10. You should be able to find all the latest drivers. Start with the chipset drivers & tools.
As a last resort, I'd recommend you consider re-installing the OS altogether, but first backup your files off-site to avoid any potential data loss.

Hope it helps.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution