Would now be a good time to upgrade my cpu (i7-3770k)?

Pie_ExMachina

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015
So I mainly use my pc for gaming and school work. I study computer science but I don't do any heavy video editing or picture edition mainly programming and writing papers. As for gaming I mainly play CS:GO and Overwatch but I also play a lot of recent AAA titles. How much does my CPU have before it needs to be upgraded? I would probably also need a new motherboard since I'm pretty sure my current mobo (intel dh77kc) doesn't support many of the newer CPUs. And I'd probably also need to get ddr4 memory. In case I need an upgrade what motherboard do you guys recommend?

And one last question, in case I upgrade should I go for an i5 since it's probably cheaper and I wouldn't take full advantage of the i7? Thanks for the help.

First of all, what is your GPU?

I don't think you should upgrade yet. First of all, is your CPU overclocked?
If not, you could just buy a nice cooler and OC it quite high.
If it is overclocked, then there's not much reason to worry.
Have you noticed any kind of low fps or annoying stutter on new games?

Pie_ExMachina

Honorable
Oct 13, 2015

I currently own a gtx 970 which I might upgrade next year.

Now that I think about it I never even considered Overclocking but you're right I could always get a good cpu cooler and overclock it.

My FPS is pretty solid everything runs pretty well getting over 144 on both CSGO and Overwatch and most singleplayer games I play run between 60 and 144 depending on how demanding they are. I guess I only get annoying stuttering on games that are not properly optimized or games that might be too new. I guess my main concern here is future proofing my computer.

Thanks for the help.