Transferring Windows 10 Store App to Another Drive

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
I purchased Forza Horizon 3 on my PC 3 days ago, and due to my incredibly slow internet, it only finished downloading today.

I have two internal drives in my PC - a 2TB HDD and a 250GB SSD. The SSD is my boot drive, and also has GTA V and Battlefield 4 installed on it, so obviously there isn't much free space left (around 60GB). When I started downloading Forza, I stupidly didn't think about the install location. Therefore it has downloaded to my SSD. However, there is not quite enough room on the SSD to install (enough to hold the download I assume due to there being ~250MB free, but not the final installed game).

I was trying to see if I could change the install location of store apps, and in the setting panel in Windows I found the setting to change the install location, however, much to my dismay, it was for 'new apps', i.e. the change wouldn't effect apps that are already downloaded/installed. Therefore, the Forza download remains on my SSD.

I've just been delving into the WindowsApps folder to try and locate where the Forza download is being held and I just found it. As I changed the default location for apps as my HDD just now, the hard drive now also has a WindowsApps folder. Due to my tediously slow internet speed, I really don't want to have to wait another few days to re-download Forza, and therefore I tried copying the downloaded files from the SSD to my HDD. Whether this will work in the first place is unknown to me, but it's the only thing I can think to try.

However, this now is a problem because each and every single file in the download folder is locked and therefore I cannot view, and more importantly, move or copy the files. I had to use the advanced security tool to access the WindowsApps folder in the first place, but this same method does not appear to work on these files.

Therefore, my question is, is there any way I can unlock these files so that I can copy them to my other drive, or are they completely un-editable? Also, if I can do this, is there anyway of unlocking multiple files at a time, or will I have to do it one-by-one?

All and any help is massively appreciated!

Solution
Complain at Microsoft, they introduced a bug in last build that won't let you put apps downloaded from store on any drive other than C, even though you could do it before the Anniversary edition. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Complain at Microsoft, they introduced a bug in last build that won't let you put apps downloaded from store on any drive other than C, even though you could do it before the Anniversary edition. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS