Help me choose a 'new' Gpu for my needs.

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hi. I'd like some suggestions, opinions, facts on what video card I should buy for my needs-which are decently low.
I just recently sold my Gtx 770 2gb, and of course like most computer nerds, I'm frantically searching for a deal the next 4 days.

I play at 'only' 1080p, and probably will for a couple years. (I have no future games to get ready for).

Gaming situation: I *mostly* play older games.: CoD's 1-7. Unreal tournament '99-4. Tried to play black ops 3, but, it's terribly optimized, and just junk, IMO. So i'm not too concerned about running that game. But, i would like to get, and be able to play new Infinite warfare at 60 fps.

On the old CoD titles, I'd love to be able to play with at least 8x AA, and close to 16x Anisotropic filtering at my 125 Fps sweetspot.
I have my doubts of achieving high Antialiasing though: My gtx 770 couldn't keep 125 fps steady on CoD 4, WaW with like 6-10x AA, and you'd think it would be able too, combined with an I7 2600k.
So important question about AA: It won't matter how powerful of a video card you have, if the old CoD games aren't optimized enough to run properly, correct ?

Newer games like, Unreal Tournament 4 pre-alpha, Doom, the 770 did really good most of the time with some very high settings. Just seems like older ones can't do high AA with steady Fps.

I like to use high AF, maybe more than AA, I don't know which is better. I REALLY like visual graphic quality though, sense I'm used to Unreal series spoiling me.

I'm looking at: Amd: Rx 470, Rx 480-4gb. - Nvidia: Gtx 970, or Gtx 1060 3gb. ??(yes, sadly, i'm on a very low budget, & can't afford the 1060 6gb).

I'm mostly an Nvidia only buyer now, since my last Amd card didn't work for some old games, and i don't like fighting with the drivers, but, my dad has an 8700 card and has no troubles.

So, I'm interested in Amd again cause both of those have more memory, higher Shaders, and Texture Fillrates, Since I'm reading that SF determines how high you can run Filtering at.

But, Nvidia - 970, 1060 have higher Pixel rates-which supposedly helps manage Anti-aliasing ability ?
I read that higher Memory bandwidth helps determine how much AA you can handle also. Right or wrong ? (The AMD options have high Memory bandwidth also)
----------------------------------------------------
Anyway, sorry about the *huge story* i wrote, but, I don't know how else to ask this all, since I can't afford to screw up this time- i bought the Gtx 770 2gb last december on Ebay for $190. then it lost all it's value like 4 months later, & I only just got like $98 for it reselling this month.

Any help pointing me to the right Gpu for my stuff is greatly appreciated. :)

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
You should go with rx 470 or rx 480(4gb) if you are really on a tight budget.The rx 470 sometimes matches the 1060 .AMD drivers have improved from the last time around and this days AMD also does game ready drivers for its card

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
the 2 cards to consider would be the rx 480 or the gtx 1060.. The difference is minimal between the 3gb - 6gb and 4gb - 8gb. You would see it when cranking up higher AA, Textures and resolutions. I don't know if 1080p is really high enough of a resolution for any of that to actually be an issue though. There are really only 2 cards to consider here and that would be the 480 or the 1060.

I purchased the 480 because I decided it's worth taking a 5% average fps loss to be prepared in case amd does better with vulkan or dx12 titles. When the 1060 wins in fps it's very minimal, typically just a few fps. Look at BF1 in DX 12, the 480 performs almost 30% better in BF1 on ultra settings compared to the 1060. DOOM is another one where the 480 has a 20fps lead on the 1060.

http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/1/1/115_21_rx-480-dominates-gtx-1060-dx12-battlefield.png

One thing to point out is that during both BF1 and DOOM, both cards are pushing over 100fps anyway. Even though the 480 wins by 20+fps, both are doing over 100 which is more than good enough regardless. At higher resolutions this would be more noticeable, it could be the difference between getting 48 and 60 fps.

Another thing to consider is that you can get a top of the line full blown 480 from one of the best companies for the same price as one of the lowest grade 1060s. An MSI Gaming X 480 cost the same as a Gigabyte single fan non oc baseline model. better fans, better parts, etc..

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016

Why do you regret?? .Also which card do you own??.Its rather blemish to say one is bad without any proper explaination

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the good tips so far. If I would get BF 1 I probably wouldn't try getting 100 fps since it wouldn't really help much. i really only care about getting over 100 Fps in old cod games cause of the quake 3 engine bugs.

To add on: my budget is like 190$ maximum. (Cause i need to buy a new SSD also, after i sell some more stuff on ebay.

that is the reason i brought the Gtx 970 up, i was looking at getting a used one for less than $170; i could've gotten a "lightly used" Asus Strix 970 for only $166. But, i was too late to bid on it today.

I am curious also, what happened, Harmazi.