Windows 10 keeps freezing every couple minutes

Prabhat_1

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Dear all,
I am currently using Windows 10 1607 on my Lenovo y50 laptop. The laptop will freeze almost every 10 minutes since it is on no matter what program is open or if any programs are open. Even if I leave my device on the login screen for some time it will freeze. I don't know what is causing the issue but all help is appreciated since the laptop is practically unusable at this stage.

If you can reboot, once you are w10, quickly go to the search windows icon in the taskbar, type even viewer and hit enter.
Click on the windows logs then you click on the system tab, scroll down until you find any red x errors pointing at something or multiple times.

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-event-viewer.png

Yes event viewer can look scary at times, especially if you don't know what you are doing and not use to seing errors being reported.

You'll get use to it over time, once I am done here.

Prabhat_1

Commendable
May 19, 2016

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have given my laptop to the service center but with my history with them, they'll just return it in the same condition. As soon as I get it back which will probably be in 2 days I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would test the ram out as its likely to be the cause or HDD

event viewer shows errors on a perfectly good machine, and if PC is freezing, good chance windows won't know why, and just have event 41 errors at start up to prove it has no idea.

Sounds like a plan, hopefully lenovo will actually look at the system and get it right.
Otherwise we'll fix it and you can email them back and ask for a charge back if they charge anything to fix something.

valkov

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I got the same issue, and played a bit with. For me it all started a bit more than week ago, when I updated the bios to the most recent one provided by Lenovo...

Ctrl+Shift+Esc brings up the Task Manager, and before it crashes on the Processes tab the memory usage is ticking up, roughly 1% per second -- and after 99% comes the freeze. (I have a T450 with 16GB RAM, and once it starts ticking up, I have more than a minute to get prepared for the crash.) I have admin rights and although I kill all apps and basically every process which I can kill, the memory usage keeps ticking up, unstoppable...

But, once I cut my internet connection, whether turning off the wifi on the notebook or shutting down my router, the flooding of my memory stops and even a very slow recovery begins. Better still: if I turn the wifi back on, the situation stabilizes; though the memory consumed up by then remains unavailable, or recovers just very, very slowly.

Today there was a somewhat similar issue with Epson printers and Google Cloud Print (GCP): my printer was usable for about only 20 seconds, then it froze and restarted, and the solution was to cut it off the net. It turned out to be an issue with GCP, which needed to be de-activated on the printer -- either within 20 seconds or by internet connection cut off. Once GCP is suspended, the internet connection can be re-established, without the freezing. hat tip to user forums...

unfortunately I could not find solution to this Lenovo issue.
I had a chat with Lenovo (as my notebook is under warranty), and they proposed to reinstall windows; which actually helped -- for a few days, after which the problem started again. Now that I learned this cut-off-and-turn-back-on-the-internet-connection trick, I can manage... but it is certainly not the user experience I was after when buying a professional grade notebook for home, just exactly NOT to have this kind of issues.

Anyway, if your hardware turns out to be fine, try having a look at your memory usage in TaskManager or ResourceMonitor; and try to play with cutting the net connection.