HD 598 Cs vs ATH M50x

Ronnie_McT2001

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
During the black friday sale, a new version of the hd 598's came out, the Cs, which is a closed back design. I want to get the ATH M50x after all the good reviews and recommendations, but the hd 598 Cs are cheaper. I was wondering how they compared? the sale only lasts a couple days so i have to decide quick. Thankyou.

Solution
m50 has a very tiny soundstage. everything will sound very up close and personal with very little depth (feeling of spatial distance from your ears). i actually like this about them for music when using mine but its up to your personal preferences. small soundstages are not ideal for gaming. as far as audio quality is concerned, both are good although the m50 is more v-shaped (more emphasis on bass and treble) while the hd598 is more flat (fairly level eq).

i'm not sure about the new CS but generally closed back versions of open back headphones seem to have reduced soundstage and in some cases a tiny bit more bass. generally open cans are suggested for gaming due to soundstage but you could certainly work with closed cans if isolation...
m50 has a very tiny soundstage. everything will sound very up close and personal with very little depth (feeling of spatial distance from your ears). i actually like this about them for music when using mine but its up to your personal preferences. small soundstages are not ideal for gaming. as far as audio quality is concerned, both are good although the m50 is more v-shaped (more emphasis on bass and treble) while the hd598 is more flat (fairly level eq).

i'm not sure about the new CS but generally closed back versions of open back headphones seem to have reduced soundstage and in some cases a tiny bit more bass. generally open cans are suggested for gaming due to soundstage but you could certainly work with closed cans if isolation was important.

if you thought about the m50.. the dt770 is all around a better can. yes you would want at minimum a decently strong soundcard like the Z or an entry level amplifier like a fiio a3 or even a dac/amp like the fiio e10k but its worthwhile. the dt770 has a similar v-shaped profile but with better sound quality, a larger soundstage, bigger more comfortable earcups. the only benefit of the m50 would be the folding design and not needing any amplification in most cases.

Solution