Two Windows 10 computers using the same account can access eachothers files (even if one has file sharing disabled!)

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 on the same login.

I have been modifying network settings, and I have noticed that if my laptop has network discovery totally disabled, but I enable it on my desktop, my desktop can start accessing the laptops files. The same thing works vice versa.

Is this because both computers use the same login? Otherwise this seems like a big security flaw! How do I fix this?

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

Settings sync are disabled. I can literally accept the files on the desktop of one computer from the other. I don't use OneDrive

My concern is if I have another computer on my network (owned by someone else, with a different login), would they still be able to access my files? Or is it that my computers can access each other because they share the same login.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

They are connected to the same router. I don't know anything about workgroup.

I am conscripting my minimally tech savvy parents (who are on the other side of the country) to do an experiment once they have a chance. I'll have them disable network discovery on all three of their computer. Then they will see if my dad's laptop can access dad's desktop (which share the same login), and then they will see if my mom's laptop can access my dad's desktop (which don't share the same login).

If you (or anyone else with computers on the same and different logins) can see how this works, that would be much appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i meant to type homegroup, but you would have needed to set one up, its not done automatically. THis talks about homegroups - its for 8 but its similar enough: http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson10/all/

I have another PC here on another login but I can access all their files as I have a homegroup set up and have shared all my files with them anyway.

its probably cause you both on same router

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

I don't have a homegroup setup. Just to confirm, you don't think a third computer (with a different login) could force access to my computers, right?

My concern is if someone hacks my WPA2 ever or if I have a roommate again. I don't want people who share the same router to be able to get into my files.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

Gah... when I try to make an user account and then login to it, it says "User Profile Service service failed to sign in / User profile cannot be loaded"

Furthermore, when my parents tried this my dad's computers could see my mom's laptop but not each other for some odd reason. My dad could not access my mom's files, but because his two computers could not see each other, I could not test this.