DVI-D Single Link Vs. Dual Link

Vizaon

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The problem is that I can not get a signal from my graphics card using my DVI cable. The second I changed graphics cards the DVI-D DL cable I had just stopped working. So I bought a new cable and it failed to work as well. So I just put a DVI-D Single Link to HDMI adapter into my monitor and ran the HDMI cord to my graphics card and it worked fine. Then I put the DVI-D Single Link to HDMI adapter into my graphics card (RX 470) and ran the HDMI cord to my monitor, and no signal. So it is not my monitors. I also plugged my old GPU into my PC and couldn't get a signal from the 2 DVI ports (I don't have a mini HDMI cord to see if the card just so happens to be dead.) If anyone could help me out that would be fantastic because I don't want to keep spending money on cords. I got an RMA for my RX 470 and have yet to ship it out yet because I'm debating on just buying a DisplayPort to DVI-D cord. Does this sound more like a DVI cord issue or my graphics card I really don't know what to do.

I guess a more straight forward question would be can I switch between DVI-D Single Link and Dual Link or will my RX 470 only work with Dual Link DVI cables?

Vizaon

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Brand new card so I have no idea if the port has ever worked. Any idea if no DVI display could be a motherboard issue? I don't have another PC to test the card on unfortunately.

Jack_187

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Well I would try removing the card, and plugging your PC into the monitor via onboard graphics. If you can boot your PC with a video signal, try uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers for your card, and try it again with the card in.

Vizaon

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Well unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics :/
I think I am going to purchase a new one tonight anyway so I suppose I can test it then.