My games and PC keep crashing while trying to play and i don't know what to do.

Alex Noren

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
I built my PC a week ago, excited, because i was finally moving up. I installed everything perfectly, from my perspective at least. All i know is that my NVIDIA drivers for my GPU keep on crashing my games and my PC whenever I play anything intensive. Games will run smooth as butter and then suddenly boom: bluescreen or game crash. I have the most up to date drivers but nothing helps. I've tried everything i can think of, but nothing helps. From what i can gather from when i bluescreen that most of the time it is caused by the drivers doing something windows does not like.
My PC

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Intel I5 6600K
Windows 10 Pro
MSI ms-7971
16 GB RAM

Alex Noren

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
yes, did not work.

I am wondering if that was an attempt at humor.

You said "I've tried everything i can think of"

Please list what you have thought of. What troubleshooting steps have you performed?

Alex Noren

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016

I have reinstalled drivers for all of my components. I have tried disabling features of my graphics drivers. I have tried reinstalling my OS. I have done diagnostics on my CPU. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers. I have rolled back to old drivers. I checked the mechanical aspect of my PC, and everything looks fine. Nothing is too hot. I have more than enough power to play the games i want, and can run any game i can think of past 60 frames.

Well, that is a lot of thinking. Next step is to test your GPU. And now I see you gave the generic name of the 1070. Who is the manufacturer? Gigabyte? EVGA? Asus? MSI? SC version? OC? My card is the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. But there are third party manufacturers that build everything else other than the GPU inside their cards. So I have the EVGA 970 FTW or the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2978-KR 4GB FTW GAMING GFX card.

Back to the real issue. Open your Nvidia Control Panel. Click start and type Nvidia. That should bring up that app so you can click on it to open it. If you use Geforce Expeience and it's minimized to your system tray you can right click that icon and it will have an option to open Nvidia Control Panel from there. Click on help inside of Nvidia Control panel. Click on Debug mode. Close that app. Play a game.

What is Debug mode and why did I ask you to turn that feature on? I can't say EXACTLY what debug mode is but what it does is remove any factory overclocks/changes to the GPU. Overclocks can result in blue screens and crashes is not applied correctly or to a chip not designed for it. It can handle the extra stress. Let's say you have a 4 cylinder engine. It's a basic model. Any changes to the engine such as adding a turbo charger causes the engine to fail. Runs perfect in its factory original state but any changes to it results in failure. GPUs are sometimes similar to that and then some. There is something called a binning process that happens at the factory. Not all GPUs are created equal. Two identical 1070 GPUs are not identical. Similar to snowflakes they are. Those silicon chips inside are microscopically different from each other. The factory knows this. So, they are tested at differing clocks(read speeds). This one can go the speed limit but becomes unstable after it exceeds it. It's released as a basic model. Assuming these hypothetical chips are GTX 970 GPUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA70F4VA1627 has that GPU inside of it. This other chip goes past the speed limit and WELL OVER THE speed limit before becoming unstable. It's released as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA73M4SM1995&cm_re=970_FTW-_-9SIA73M4SM1995-_-Product . Which is better than a Super clocked version. Why did I say all that? Sometimes they make mistakes. Your GPU inside of that 1070 may be unstable at any overclocked speeds. BUT I don't know which version you have so Debug mode may be a useless step.

What exactly does the blue screen say? What's the full error?

Have you went to the Event viewer and checked what exactly happened at the time of the blue screen?

Alex Noren

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016

From what i can tell, drivers are malfunctioning with the system, either it will call for files in the system that aren't there, something isn't processed correctly and it crashes, or the drivers call to something they don't have permission to access. It is almost never the same error. My card has no secondary manufacturer it is NVIDIA who made the card. i currently have the 376.09 "Game Ready" drivers for Windows 10 that were released a few days ago. I've set no options to overclock.