My hard drives shut down for no reason every once in a while

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
OK guys, here's the deal. I've been having this issue for a while now, and it occurs every couple of months. I have an SSD for my Windows 7 sistem, and 2 hard drives. And the problem happened again today. Suddenly I notice something weird, for example my Skype logs out and say it has an I/O problem (my cache folder is on my hard drive). So I go to My computer and I see that all my partitions that reside on that hard drive are gone. So I have to reset my PC to temporarely resolve the issue. But after an hour or so it happens again. If I shut down my PC I will get more time, but only few hours. So I have to open my case and disconnect that drive and reconnect it to a different Sata port. And that solves it. For a month or two. After couple of months it happens again. I've check all my hard drives with HD tune, no issues. I tried new sata cables, 5-6 of them, and that didn't help. I happened with both of my drives. In every sata slot. Any ideas?

I would check your power options. It sounds as if the HDD goes to sleep and can't wake up. https://postimg.cc/image/jhoy7k9gz/?_ga=1.244549317.1701167792.1480011287 shows where you can change that. RIght click your start button(Windows icon), click power options, chenge to High Performance if it's not already there, click change plan settings, click change advanced power settings in the next screen, navigate to Hard Disk, make sure that "turn off hard disk after" is set to NEVER.

The type of problem you're experiencing is always a perplexing one since myriad causes may be the culprit.

I'm assuming this problem is not exclusive as it involves your Skype program and that you were only citing that program as an example of the problem. But the problem is "system-wide", right?

Initially one suspects a defective drive but I suppose we can rule that out since you've checked out the health of your HDDs. But you didn't indicate you tested the SSD. Did you?

Then we consider a defective PSU, so if possible install another PSU if one is available or at the minimum use a PSU power tester.

Then the graphics card assuming you're working with one. If the system is equipped with motherboard integrated video, try that. Or another graphics card if one is available.

I assume you've checked for malware; if not, do so.

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
SSD checked. I don't have another PSU. No malware. Whatever is the problem, the weird this is that it will now work fine for couple of months, since I've switched the Sata slot.