Charter Wireless Router Question

rladuke_2

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I recently moved. I have Charter Internet in my last house they provided me with a Netgear wireless router. I plug my gaming rig into the wireless router with an ethernet chord and we have phones and TV's and another computer using that use wireless connection and we really didnt have any issues.

Now, we moved and Charter gave me a Sagecom Fast 5260 for a wireless router and for gaming i have had couple ping and quality issues and it really was only a couple of times but I still never had any issues with the previous Netgear and the computer that is on wireless is really slow.

One thing that frustrates me is that I cant find information on this Sagecom Fast 5260 online of what the bandwidth is and if its dual band and what not because I would like to upgrade but i dont know what to upgrade to.

Also for gaming even if im wired to the wireless router can a new wireless router make my internet better and faster? Or will it only benefit wireless connection?

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

A newer router will only benefit WiFi if the current router cannot handle the current load on it.
The routers wired speed is probably faster than the internet connection so it has excess capacity in that sense.

I did a quick look up of the 5260 - it is probably capable of handling a decent number of devices, unless you have a lot of people with a lot of devices operating at once, probably no need to upgrade.

Dual band = two networks, a 2.4ghz + a 5ghz network.

Try changing the location of the computer connected via wifi - location makes a big difference in WiFi signal.