general computer upgrade suggestions needed

TheGreekMan2

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Hello all,

Considering making some upgrades to my system and would like some advice from you experts!

• My current setup is below and I have the things underlined that I want to change
    MSI 970-G46 Motherboard
    AMD FX 6350 six core processor
    4 sticks of 4gb ddr3 1600 MHz ram
    a 250gb Samsung SSD
    a 7200 1tb Toshiba hard drive
    750 W EVGA PSU Gold Rated
    Radeon RX 470 4 GB XFX GPU - not yet installed, currently using an old Radeon 7770
    stock cooler

First things first. I really want to change my mobo. My current mobo currently has all USB's in use, can't connect to USB 3.0 (on chassis), and most importantly I believe is damaged. My computer stutters sometimes and I believe it's due to the MOBO. I think I scratched it one time, and I know it's not a software problem because I've done several hard resets on my drive's over the years and it hasn't ever been resolved.

I'm obviously looking for an AMD MOBO with AM3+ socket as I am not changing my CPU just yet. I'm looking to spend anywhere under 120$ and want plenty of upgradability and if possible useful features. Currently, I've been looking at the ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura MOBO. It look's cool and has great reviews as well as features. Any thoughts?

I've always had the capability to overclock (Or at least I'm pretty sure my GPU/CPU/RAM could be overclocked) but never had because I had only the stock AMD cooler. The obvious choice is the Hyper 212 EVO, or at least it's the most popular. Is this the way to go, or are there better options out there? Of course I'll have to pick up some thermal paste as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you computer building genius and thank you for any suggestions. Happy Holidays.

That would be quite capable MB. If you want OC higher than 4.2 - 4.3GHz you'll need much better cooler for CPU. I had my 6350 up to 4.7GHz under Scythe Mugen3 air cooler but now at over 4.8GHz needs even more serious cooler like NH-d14/15 for air cooler or what I'm using now, CM Nepton 140XL or any 240mm (Dual rad/fan) liquid cooler.