Will 2666mhz ram damage an i7 6700k? (Also Other Questions)

AnshJ

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
Hey Guys,

I am building my first PC soon and had some questions. The other day, I bought 16gb of Corsair LPX RAM clocked at 2666mhz. I have now found out that my the max supported speed for the i7 6700k (my CPU) is 2133mhz. I am using an ASUS Z170 AR Motherboard. I was wondering if this RAM speed will harm my CPU in any way. If necessary, I am willing to turn on XMP, however, I don't really mind if it is turned off since 2133mhz is pretty fast itself. Are there any harms of not turning on XMP to any of my components? Will my RAM automatically run at 2133mhz?

Also, will it be necessary to overclock my CPU to support this RAM? I want to stay away from this right now, but I might consider it in the future if I need it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help!

Solution
yes and no, you can most likely still run at the higher speed still, but if you want to be on the safe side you can keep it at your cpu's highest rated speed for ram

AnshJ

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016

So even though the motherboard can handle the higher speed, it will lower the ram speed to what the CPU can handle?

thesicksign

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
yes and no, you can most likely still run at the higher speed still, but if you want to be on the safe side you can keep it at your cpu's highest rated speed for ram

Solution

AnshJ

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016

Alright. Would I do that by not using XMP?