Windows 10 won't turn off

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut down it does actually shut down but only for a second before it starts restarting. This problem has been going on for 2-3 months now.

I've tried a number of things including:

turning off fast start-up
making sure the power off switch is set to actually turn off the computer (in power options)
unplugging the battery for a while to let it reset
buying 3rd party software which claimed to fix the issue
using the console commands
unplugging all the USB devices and turning off the Bluetooth

For reference I'm using a Lenovo E540 Edge which I upgraded from Windows 8.1 earlier this year. The only way to turn my computer off at this stage is to do a hard reset or let the battery run out (not ideal).

Please help - I've been scouring the internet with no luck and I really hope I'm just being a dunce.

Solution
So I managed to fix it! It turns out it was one of the programs that starts up with the PC that was causing it to reboot all the time. I just went to the Startup tab in Task Manager, turned them all off and then presto it can now turn off with no issue.

I'll post here when I figure out which app was actually causing the issue.

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016

I hadn't, though I just tried to do a system reset which didn't help. I really don't want to do a full reinstall - that's a lot of effort to go through to make my computer do something so menial as shutting down...

I tried this too, no dice. It just shuts down and then immediately restarts as usual.

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home.

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I checked the BIOS, and didn't see anything that said something like "state after power loss".

I also tried to unplug all the USB devices, start it up in safe mode and then shut down again and it still restarted. Does that mean that there's something corrupt in the actual Windows files?

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
So I managed to fix it! It turns out it was one of the programs that starts up with the PC that was causing it to reboot all the time. I just went to the Startup tab in Task Manager, turned them all off and then presto it can now turn off with no issue.

I'll post here when I figure out which app was actually causing the issue.

Solution

Myra Corporate

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
Attempted many suggestions from multiple forums. Nothing worked.
However have fixed the issue and can recreate the issue.

I think there must be a several combinations of registry entries that cause the not Shutting Down issue, which is why some suggestions work and some don't.

1. Firstly login as an Administrator (To save me some extra instructions)
2. I had a Power Options / Power Plan of "HP Optimized". When I set it to "Balanced" I think that reset some registry entries. If you already have "Balanced" power plan selected, select something else. Get out, go back in and reset it back to "Balanced".
3. From administrative cmd prompt (cmd.exe rightclick/runAsAdministrator): powercfg -h off
4. Set Registry entry to 0:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power\HiberbootEnabled

To recreate issue:
powercfg -h on
HiberbootEnabled = 1

Now, with one of these off, the issue does not occur, but I think it did before I changed the PowerPlan.
FYI: Setting the PowerPlan back to "HP Recommended" does not stuff it up again. Like I said, I believe simply by changing the plan reset some registry settings.

alek_gare

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

This worked for me using surface pro 2017 with the latest insider preview build.

Thanks!