Black bars during gameplay (Win 10)

Amy_44

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Hey. I am playing Neverwinter Nights on the Lenovo x201 Thinkpad. Whenever I load the game, there are black flickering bars moving up and down the screen. Also, when this doesn't happen, the game forces itself closed after a various few minutes. I am running Win 10 but this game was intended for XP SP2+. I have fiddled about with Compatibility and troubleshoot and resolutions but nothing seems to help. My screen does not do this at any other time. Please advise!

Also, I have another game: Icewind Dale. This has another issue. The saves halfway through a game will not save and crash the game. Then, when I restart the laptop, on shutdown, it says "error... cannot write to memory...". Again, Icewind was designed for XP.

Thanks.

Solution
Thinkpads are not really designed for gaming. I think the screen resolution possibly the issue. Thinkpads are more for business use. Gaming laptop look at dell XPS models.

For system with 12.1-inch, native 262K colors, WXGA (1280 × 800 resolution) LCD on selected models:

For system with 12.1-inch, native 262K colors, WXGA+ (1440 × 900 resolution) LCD on selected models:

Select one if these and see if this fixes the issue.

I need to research the other games issue.

Update

Ok you need to check this path

C:\Users[your windows user id]\Documents\Icewind Dale

See if there is a save folder there. I do not play this game so if you can change the save directory try that.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Thinkpads are not really designed for gaming. I think the screen resolution possibly the issue. Thinkpads are more for business use. Gaming laptop look at dell XPS models.

For system with 12.1-inch, native 262K colors, WXGA (1280 × 800 resolution) LCD on selected models:

For system with 12.1-inch, native 262K colors, WXGA+ (1440 × 900 resolution) LCD on selected models:

Select one if these and see if this fixes the issue.

I need to research the other games issue.

Update

Ok you need to check this path

C:\Users[your windows user id]\Documents\Icewind Dale

See if there is a save folder there. I do not play this game so if you can change the save directory try that.

Solution