Quick refresh rate question.

vinnieg0399

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
So, I'm looking to upgrade to a new monitor. Right now I have one that is 60hz. So, naturally, games with vsync cap at 60fps. If I get a 120hz monitor, and enable vsync, will the frame rate be capped at 120fps?

Solution

If you're not able to maintain 120 fps and you enable v-sync, your framerate would drop down to 60 fps instead. But you wouldn't get screen tearing.

vinnieg0399

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Just to conclude: The Witcher 3 with vsync gets me a solid 60 fps most of the time. Without it, i get well into 90s and 100s of frames with occasional tearing. With a 120hz monitor, I can enable vsync and get into the 90s and 100s of frames to avoid tearing?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

No, it tears anytime the monitor and GPU are out of sync, so anytime your FPS is above or below the refresh rate. Sometimes at certain framerates its barley noticeable but its always there. The only way to get rid of tearing completely without vsync is to use Gsync or Freeesync which raises and lowers the refresh rate of the monitor in sync with how many frames the GPU is putting out. This also eliminates input lag caused by vsync.

There is more to it but that is the short version of the way I understand it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

If you're not able to maintain 120 fps and you enable v-sync, your framerate would drop down to 60 fps instead. But you wouldn't get screen tearing.

Solution