SSD upgrade using Microsoft media creation tool

Benjamin_56

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I have bought a msata 120 gb ssd as a os drive for my laptop.
But i am facing som problems, i cant migrate the data from my hdd since there is over 120 gb, and i am afraid that if I clean install windows with the creation tool i will have to reinstall programs such as photoshop, word etc.

my question is, is it possible to clean install windows while keeping these programs on the hdd and will the new windows be able to find the programs located on the hdd.

if so, can someone please take me through the process of doing all of this correctly.

Thnx

Solution
Personal files can be used but most programs installed on the HDD may not be usable without reinstalling them. Beside that, you will have a lot of wasted space on HDD left over.
I would boot from HDD and find all registrations for programs installed on it. Then you can download and install those programs on SSD and register them again.
After transferring personal files somewhere else, I would clean and re-partition HDD so all the space can be used again.

Benjamin_56

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

But I will have both the ssd and hdd in the pc, so nothing will be deleted from the hdd, and i've seen that I will still be able to open personal files etc from the hdd

Just like CountMike said, a clean install will mean a complete reinstall of Windows from scratch. In order to do what you want I would highly recommend a clean install then a manual migration of the programs that you want to keep. Because your new drive is smaller than your old drive, this method will force you to do some housekeeping and make perform some organization.

You will like the results, but you will have to work for it.

USAFRet

Titan

Personal files (Doc/Music/Video), probably.
Programs that live on the HDD? Generally, no.

This is not true. You will HAVE TO remove Windows from the hard drive, and all drivers as well. Your new drive will contain the OS of your computer. That is why it will be so much faster and easier to perform a clean install of your operating system.

Personal files can be used but most programs installed on the HDD may not be usable without reinstalling them. Beside that, you will have a lot of wasted space on HDD left over.
I would boot from HDD and find all registrations for programs installed on it. Then you can download and install those programs on SSD and register them again.
After transferring personal files somewhere else, I would clean and re-partition HDD so all the space can be used again.

Solution