IT Degree Guidance

DLMJOSLIN

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Good Day,

I recently separated from the US Navy. I'm searching for options as a civilian career. I have loved computers since I was a child, and would say I'm slightly above average when it comes to my knowledge base. I'm self taught up to this point but have a good working knowledge about certain hardware, software, operating systems such as: OSX, Windows vista-7, little about linux, and little about FreeNAS 9.10. I have done all of my own hardware upgrades for my machines as well as friends and family that trust me with their devices. I can troubleshoot common software issues with a somewhat low failure rate, and I recently built a NAS box using FreeNAS and PMS that ended in success which is used daily. I'm interested in software development e.g. coding languages, understanding code, networking, encryption, and potentially cyber security. I am aware there are more things I don't understand than there are that I do. Is there a job that encompasses all or most of the interests I've mentioned that also allows me to build on the foundation I have already developed? Any insight, comments, suggestions, guidance, or further questions welcomed. For the more personal questions please send them via private message

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Regarding "encompass":

Some job titles (IT and otherwise) are too generic, other positions may list an almost impossible set of skill, education, and experience requirements.

A good starting point is to begin online job searches. Look for positions that you feel qualified for based on both your post and your Navy experience (as applicable).

Hopefully you live in an area where there are numerous opportunities or, otherwise, you are willing to relocate.

Start applying: maybe you will not be accepted for the targeted position but often employers have other pending opportunities. If all goes well you may be remembered and recontacted again. Or the "first guy" did not work out or even backed out at the last minute.

Employers are...

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "encompass":

Some job titles (IT and otherwise) are too generic, other positions may list an almost impossible set of skill, education, and experience requirements.

A good starting point is to begin online job searches. Look for positions that you feel qualified for based on both your post and your Navy experience (as applicable).

Hopefully you live in an area where there are numerous opportunities or, otherwise, you are willing to relocate.

Start applying: maybe you will not be accepted for the targeted position but often employers have other pending opportunities. If all goes well you may be remembered and recontacted again. Or the "first guy" did not work out or even backed out at the last minute.

Employers are looking for reliable people who will show up on time, work, learn, be part of the team, step up when necessary, and not be a "disruptor" with respect to the job, the manager(s), or the company. And usually there is some latitude for the hiring manager to decide how he or she wants to balance between experience, education, and less tangible factors. Barring specific contracual requirements for Goverment work....

Very difficult to sit here and "armchair quarterback" how any given company will respond to your job application. Most applications are done online now (can be a painful process) and are commonly scanned for keywords etc. before a human ever reads the application/resume. Each company has its own application process, format, order, "relevant" questions. Some companies do tests of one sort or another.

[Side bar: keep copies of all your military, education, work history, handy, and organized. Some online applications are quite comprehensive and almost become ridiculous with regards to some progress stopping demand for seemingly trival information. Keep copies of all applications as best you can. If possible, preview the applications and perpare your answers/responses beforehand. Cut and paste in after reviewing and editing for correctness and accuracy.]

Each application is becoming a customized document in order for the applicant to highlight or bring out their skills that are legitimately applicable for the desired position. You may or may not need to attach a resume.....

Hopefully you will have some post-separation "career counseling" opportunities available for you - take advantage of that as much as possible. Read, go online, and otherwise search and study how to apply for a job. Do practice interviews. Learn about the company and what it does. Colleges and local state/county career centers abound. Be very wary of paying anyone to find you a job. Generally most paid places just find ways to reduce your bank account....

As a veteran you may have some automatic and varying sorts of "preference points" in your favor. Still employers must weigh a multitude of factors: education, experience, and some general assessment on whether you can do the job or not.

You may be hired on some contingency basis. I.e., that you complete some series of classes or certifications to remain employed.

Solution

Dannie9120

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Without a background in the computer related studies is hard to look out for a job since by each day a new application has been launched. And this is a field which has higher competitions so it's better to get a validation of your knowledge through studies which can reduce your distance for success and fetch you better options with the career.

Before enrolling in a class try to attempt the practice labs (eg: www dot exam-labs dot com) dumps to check your best area of course in which you have knowledge in it.

DLMJOSLIN

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Formally I have no education or experience in IT as a profession. I have been leaning towards cyber security, but I don't know anyone that is in that field. My circle is mostly comprised of surgeons, nurses, and military medical staff. First I'd just like the opportunity to speak with individuals in different IT professions to get a little insight.

DLMJOSLIN

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

The main problem I perceive is that I actually have no transferable skills in this particular field. I was a Hospital Corpsman in the navy, so for the past five years my job was patient care focused on labor and delivery, neonatal care, and neruosurgical post op care. Even with those skills I don't actually have a degree or even a certificate for that matter.

Ralston18

Titan
Being a Corpsman meant you had to learn and do a lot of complex, literally life and death, skills. You know how to organize and study. You have discipline and probably above average maturity and experience.

Probably a good starting point would be to enroll in at least a community college level program. You will need to take some general curriculum classes along with introductory computer classes.

You might be able to gain a few credits based on your military experience - even if only as electives. The college should have counselors that will be able to help with such determinations. You may be able to test out of some basic classes and get credits accordingly.

We have a family member who is a medical technician: fixes medical devices and is always involved with "IT" issues but not necessarily security related per se. Maybe you could start into IT by bridging your medical experience into the supporting IT world..... Being able to program devices, resolve field level problems, update the firmware. Things like that. Not uncommon for employers to need someone with a certain skill set (such as medical) to help with implementing some IT project: hardware, software, training, documentation, and support.

The company may even train and certify you for applicable equipment. Maybe you already know a few contractors that supported the facility where you worked.

And even though you may be "burned out" as a Corpsman some fresher challenge or change may be enough to overcome that.

Do you have any Veteran's benefits that can be applied towards earning a degree? I know the programs have changed considerably from my day. Be very aggressive and pursue any such benefits. Not easy and the bureaucracy can be daunting.

Three thoughts for you:

1) Talk with some colleges. Start there. [Note: I do not favor specialized trade schools (IT and otherwise) because they seem to be better at getting their students into debt versus learning any real employment ready skills. Investigate carefully.]

2) Again, look for any employment opportunities. You may just find some entry level position that your self-taught computer skills and work history will be enough to get you hired. Especially if you can add in that you are taking formal college level classes while working.

3) For awhile now I have been recommending Cybersecurity Leadership by Mansur Hasib. My view is that IT folks, especially managers, need to now have a much wider skill set to really succeed and advance. The book is a collection of short chapters and presentations. Easy to read but can be very enlightning to both IT pros and those just starting out. Everything is changing and changing fast: you need to be able to keep as many options open as you can - not easy.

There is some quote about every problem is an opportunity - something like that. I think you have transferable skills. Look at the bigger picture and find ways to leverage what you know and can do.