After motherboard upgrade, stuck at Windows 7startup repair

HDN

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
So I upgraded from an old Gigabyte AMD board to an Intel board. Of course Windows 7 blue screens at the Windows logo during boot. So I took another thread's advice and loaded the new board's drivers through the command prompt. I restarted the computer and now I'm at startup repair. About six hours ago it kept going, but there has been no HDD activity light. I can't hear the HDD making noise either.

Is it safe to say that startup repair isn't doing anything? Should I force a restart?

My specs:

Windows 7 Home
Intel i5 6600k
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
16 GB G.Skill DDR4 RAM
1 TB Seagate hard disk drive
MSI GTX 760

Your best bet would be a clean install. Did you catch any error messages on the BSOD?

Do you know if your network is active? It could be downloading large system files. Or it could've just hung.

MrKrako

Respectable
Apr 17, 2016
I would normally recommend to do a clean installation of your OS if you are changing both motherboard and CPU. That way you ensure you won't have any compatibility problems between your old drivers and new hardware. You should do that instead of trying to repair.

Look it`s pretty simple, for every fresh install of windows os it will configure it`s self properly for the motherboard you have.

Each motherboard you buy or replace for another brand, or model of board will contain a motherboard chip set that controls all of the hardware devices of that motherboard and the interface control chips such as sound, Lan chip.
The north bridge chip, and south bridge chip of the motherboard to control memory and the cpu.

You cannot fit another motherboard and expect it to work with a version of windows os that was setup and installed with the prior board for use.

Forget everything you are trying to do, format the hard drive and do a fresh install, and setup of the windows os for the new motherboard you have fitted.

It is far quicker than messing around trying to get the OS to work without errors.

New motherboard, always a fresh install of windows os Period ! for correct configuration and setup of the motherboard and drivers used with it HDN.

Otherwise your just wasting your own time.

USAFRet

Titan
With a whole new system (motherboard/cpu/etc), the less likely it is to boot up.
The greater the difference in the systems pushes that probability into 'Not gonna happen'

Old AMD -> Z170 = No.

You could flail about for a week or so trying to force it. And eventually come to the realization that it will not work.
Or, you could just do it now and be done with it, knowing things work properly.