core2duo work with windows 10 64bit

Eric Garcia

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
can you use windows 10 64 bit on a asus p5gc-mx/1333 motherboard? its has a core 2 duo @ 2.5ghz and 8gb ddr3 @ 1333mhz? using a 120gb ssd

Solution
I use windows Pro10 x64 with dual monitors (running off HD5700 ati card) on a Asus CG5270 with intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 on 4gb ram for my office and I have no issues with windows finding drivers , sure it is not the most performance in a pc in the world, does the job for manual, web browsing and the occasional COD Black ops when I am in the mood. Never had an issue, but like others said, it is possible it may not find drivers for your motherboard and not be surprised when and if it happens, otherwise it will run smoothly on it..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Windows 10 requirements are fairly minimal. 1Ghz CPU, 1 or 2 GB RAM, so you can certainly install Windows 10 on that setup.

I'd be doubtful that there's motherboard driver support though, so you'll likely need to rely on Windows update for drivers - that can be a mixed bag.

Yeah, on the 1333, the last full rounds of driver support was W7. (the non1333 was Vista!). Driver support will likely be lacking.
Only way to know for sure will be to install it & see how well Windows Update handles drivers.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5GCMX1333/HelpDesk_Download/

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

i've been installing windows 10 on fairly old/aging hardware (including OP mobo) and only having trouble for certain intel (onboard) VGA driver. for others just use windows 7/8 drivers you'll be fine (don't use setup, use update driver for device manager instead!)...

I use windows Pro10 x64 with dual monitors (running off HD5700 ati card) on a Asus CG5270 with intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 on 4gb ram for my office and I have no issues with windows finding drivers , sure it is not the most performance in a pc in the world, does the job for manual, web browsing and the occasional COD Black ops when I am in the mood. Never had an issue, but like others said, it is possible it may not find drivers for your motherboard and not be surprised when and if it happens, otherwise it will run smoothly on it..

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's your experience @bajgur, and that's fine - I just said it *can* be a mixed bag.

I've installed W10 on some older hardware, sometimes it's fine, with minimal bugs. Other times (like that time I upgraded a Pentium 4 setup :lol:), it can be horrible. I would anticipate a C2D setup being ok, but there's really no way to know 100% unless you try.