Quite certain my motherboard is dead. Need advice on how to proceed.

aanieze

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I'm almost positive my ASUS m5a97 r2.0 is dead (or dying). All system fans and lights turn on, but it won't post or beep and then the power/reset buttons don't work to power off. Miraculously, every few dozen boots it'll turn on and everything works perfectly. Tried another power supply, removed RAM, GPU, but I get the same results.

I'm wondering how to proceed with a new motherboard "value-wise". I have an FX-8350, 16gb gskill RAM, SSD, GTX 970, and a dead ASUS m5a97 r2.0. I see my cheapest option as getting the same mobo on ebay for $30-$50. Or on the other end, going Intel and spending $300-$500 on a new cpu and mobo.

What I'm hoping for is some sort of middle ground. The issue is that I was totally content with my system and all of my games played great. I also know that the FX-8350 has been around for a while and it's starting to show its age. Is there some middle ground where I can beef up my system a bit without essentially doing a new build? I'd hate to spend money on my system and not go forward.

I hope this all makes sense. Thanks guys!

This is a bit of confusing time for building whole new system on a budget because of new stuff that will show up in next 6 months or so and prices will be in a turmoil.
To tidy you up until new system you could get a good MB for your processor + aftermarket cooler (~150 bucks all told) to OC at least moderately.