W10 shows 2560x1440 but monitor menu 1280x1440?

Upgrademe

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
I got this Benq GW2765 monitor which works fine with the supplied hdmi cable but I don't like how windows resizes windows when using hdmi. I got this dvi-d DL cable

Connector Type: DVI-D male to DVI-D male
Signal Type Digital
Connector Finish: Gold
Length: 6ft
Pin Configuration 24 + 1
1080p support Yes
Bandwidth: Dual Link
Maximum Resolution 2560x1600

The cable works fine on my old 1080p monitor so maybe it's not the cable? I've searched a bunch and it doesn't seem to be confined to monitor or gpu brand.

For some reason I can't set the monitor to it's full res when using dvi. Most answers I've seen are people saying they switched to a dual ink dvi cable which is what I'm using already

My gpu is an amd R9 200 series with dvi-i while the monitor is dvi-d but I've read other threads on here saying they use dvi-d at both ends

Anyone? thanks

Solution
DVI-I simply means it includes the analogue so you can use those cheap DVI -> VGA adapters. Shouldn't matter.

Just getting a Display port cable wouldn't be a bad solution.

However, when you say "resizes windows when using HDMI". That's a software setting and nothing to do with the cable whatsoever. I assume you're talking about using multi-monitors, and the way windows will snap to different sizes when you drag them between displays? (Assuming Win10 here) Go into your "Display Settings" and click through your monitors, looking at the "Change the size of text, apps" slider. If you set all your monitors to the same, then windows won't resize things. The reason that setting exists though is higher dpi monitors make everything look...
DVI-I simply means it includes the analogue so you can use those cheap DVI -> VGA adapters. Shouldn't matter.

Just getting a Display port cable wouldn't be a bad solution.

However, when you say "resizes windows when using HDMI". That's a software setting and nothing to do with the cable whatsoever. I assume you're talking about using multi-monitors, and the way windows will snap to different sizes when you drag them between displays? (Assuming Win10 here) Go into your "Display Settings" and click through your monitors, looking at the "Change the size of text, apps" slider. If you set all your monitors to the same, then windows won't resize things. The reason that setting exists though is higher dpi monitors make everything look smaller and can be harder to read. A different scaling setting for each monitor gives you the advantage of keeping everything relatively consistent is size and readable, but that means things need to be resized when swapping displays. By all means set them all the same, but you might find you can't read things on the higher dpi display.

Solution