Download Windows 10 to SSD but files on HDD arent showing up

Dalmighd

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I bought an SSD and downloaded windows on it using the disk. I unplugged my HDD and plugged the SSD in for Windows to install. When it was done I plugged back in the HDD and SSD at the same time, but only things on the SSD were showing up. So it was completely blank. It said my HDD was connected but none of the files I had were on my desktop where they should be. Did I do something wrong?

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the hdd show up in file explorer? You would need to reinstall programs on the SSD before it knows they are there. If you have steam folders on the hdd you can download the client on steam and then go into the library settings and point it at the steam library on hdd and it won't have to dl all the games again.

Dalmighd

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

Yes the HDD does show up in file explorer, so to get to all my games that's what I need to do? How exactly do I "point" it to the library on the HDD? Also, what about my other files on the HDD?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

Dalmighd

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

Actually I was able to do the Steam thing on my own. And I don't really have any folders or videos/music. Everything important I have is on my Google Drive. So I would have to reinstall things like Skype, Discord, Chrome, etc?

Dalmighd

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

Oh, that's kind of lame. I wish I knew that before. Anyways you saved me at least 300 gigs of space by telling me how to find my games on steam, thanks for the help! I appreciate it a lot! :)

TRENDING THREADS