PLEASE HELP ME! :( 3 Way Monitor Problem Out of Nowhere

navid123

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys,

I'll get right to the point.

I have a gtx 970 msi graphics card. It has two dvi ports and an hdmi port that I use for a tv and 2 pc monitors. Up until last Wed. it was working fine. I come home and only one monitor will work at a time. I tried everything to fix it but no dice (switched cables, switched ports, power cables, etc.). I admitted defeat and took it to a repair shop and paid $65 for him to fix whatever is causing this problem (in addition to installing a heatsink for me).

He says its all good to go, I bring it home, and same thing happens...I'm losing my hair over this...

When I go to display settings this is what I see and I don't know how to reset it or anything.

picture of display settings: http://4.1m.yt/u_wfZ7a.png

notice how it says "Display Device On: VGA"....I don't know what that is or how it got there, its not a real monitor at all...

I know all my monitors are fully functionally because their power goes on and they can each turn on when I exchange ports, but only 1 at a time. Not both on at the same time on both DVI ports. Apparently the guy who worked on my pc said he got his monitors both working on it at the same time though without a problem.

I'm hoping maybe someone can tell me how to reset my display settings. I've already tried going to safe mode but its still there and nothing changes. Next step would probably be to just uninstall all display drivers and reinstall and see if that does anything.

Thanks for your time and help!!!!! Much appreciated.

-Navid

UPDATE: I got rid of that 2nd monitor on the display settings but now it senses the DVI on the 2nd monitor but I get this instead.
picture of display settings now: http://4.1m.yt/yFdTQ4Z.png

Solution
After rigorous troubleshooting I found that (for some reason) the digital output of the DVI-I port (top one on my gtx 970 msi card) on my graphics card was not working for some reason.

Solution: Used a VGA to DVI adapter and just used the analog signal on the same port.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this having the same issue.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Windows is just by default disabling the secondary monitor for some reason. Select the monitor thats grey and click the 'Multiple Displays' Drop down menu and select 'Extend Desktop 1' or something like that and it should be working fine.

navid123

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
When I click on multiple displays drop down menu the only option it gives me is what caused it in the first place which is either 1) No display detected OR 2) Try to connect anyway on VGA (which there is no vga on my graphics card).

navid123

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
unfortunately, that did not fix it either. I still get it at the display screen. Does this mean its a hardware problem with the port or my monitors? I'm so confused, this is a truly baffling situation....

Ethanh100

Honorable
If you have tried a different cable, it is likely a problem with the port on the graphics card, or monitor. I suggest trying the monitor with another computer, or trying that port on your graphics card with a different monitor. That should tell you whats broken.

navid123

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
After rigorous troubleshooting I found that (for some reason) the digital output of the DVI-I port (top one on my gtx 970 msi card) on my graphics card was not working for some reason.

Solution: Used a VGA to DVI adapter and just used the analog signal on the same port.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this having the same issue.

Solution