Should I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7

gding2000

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
I have an Asus X555UJ laptop and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. It has not been a year and I want to downgrade to Windows 7 because after a Windows 10 update my screen does not turn on when waking from sleep. I have tried everything and nothing works! Also, when my laptop wakes from hibernate, Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) causes my disk usage to be at 100%. So, should I downgrade to Windows 7? I checked the Asus support website for drivers for my laptop and I think they can only be installed on Windows 10. Will I lose my drivers if I do downgrade? I'm new with computers, what should I do?

If you downgrade you'll need to purchese a copy of Win7 and do a complete reinstall. This means backing up anything of value to you and wiping the drive. Before you do, make absolutely sure that you have the drivers for your laptop. You're using, I believe, a skylake system so you'll also have to patch your Win7 install media before you can install Win7 on to the laptop.

Overall, I'd say stick with Win10. The problems you're having should be addressed, but there's nothing inherently bad about Win10 provided there's not a known issue with it and your hardware. Since you're under 1yr with your laptop you should still be under warranty with Asus and may be able to have them fix the issue. Also when in doubt, a reinstall after the next big patch might be a good idea since it'll involve breaking up the Service Host grouping and you can see exactly what service is breaking your waking up from hibernation.