Having scaling issues with my 4k monitor

FalconFan93

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I recently capitalized on a newegg sale and pickled up a 4k 28" Samsung monitor. I have it paired with my ASUS 1080p 144hz 27" . But is there a way I can scale my asus monitor to match my 4k monitor because everything is very large on the 1080p monitor. This is probably a easy fix but I guess i'm missing it.

Solution

I don't think you have any other options unfortunately. You could always up the scaling on your 4K display. It would make everything bigger (so possibly not what you want), but at least things would be consistent across displays.

Otherwise, yeah, nothing you can do.
Are you on Windows 10? Because it handles things much better than previous OSes. Windows 7 was particularly bad last time I used it with high DPI displays and I don't *think* they've fixed anything in that regard.

If you're running Windows 10, the "display settings" menu gives you a slider to "change the size of text...", which you can adjust for each monitor.

FalconFan93

Reputable
May 17, 2015

I tried that but. my 1080p monitor is already at 100% and it cant go any lower.

Oh right, well you can't scale less than 100%. You 1080p monitor is running things 1-1, which is as small as they can go. Windows prevent you from sub 96dpi scaling (100%), because it causes issues with text rendering. Apparently there are hacks floating around which involve a registry tweak, but you may well have issues getting it set to one display only, and there are then issues stemming from the hack. Apparently it can cause a range of other issues.

Maybe someone else comes along with a good suggestion, but from what I understand, Windows can't do what you want natively. And any hacks/fixes introduce more problems then they solve.

FalconFan93

Reputable
May 17, 2015

so best to just deal with it?

I don't think you have any other options unfortunately. You could always up the scaling on your 4K display. It would make everything bigger (so possibly not what you want), but at least things would be consistent across displays.

Otherwise, yeah, nothing you can do.

Solution

FalconFan93

Reputable
May 17, 2015

well thanks for your help anyway!