DVI and HDMI at the same time works but only one or the other has audio

Danwarus

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
DVI and HDMI at the same time works but only one or the other has audio. Have tried all I can think of in sound setting.Both monitor displays works fine its just the audio can be switched from one to the other but wont work at same time.HELP its becoming frustrating!!

Solution
As rtware923 stated, DVI can't carry audio. However, that's actually irrelevant. If you try the same thing with DisplayPort and HDMI (both of which carry audio), or even HDMI and speakers, you will discover that only one can have sound. As thormejh points out, Windows has a limitation that it can only output sound to one audio device at a time.

There's a hack you can do to have your sound card's mixing hardware pick up the computer's sound, and direct it to a second audio device. But there will be a slight lag in the second audio device's sound (it has to be processed by the sound card's mixer first), which will create an annoying echo effect if your two audio devices are monitors sitting next to each other. Also, I'm not sure if...
As rtware923 stated, DVI can't carry audio. However, that's actually irrelevant. If you try the same thing with DisplayPort and HDMI (both of which carry audio), or even HDMI and speakers, you will discover that only one can have sound. As thormejh points out, Windows has a limitation that it can only output sound to one audio device at a time.

There's a hack you can do to have your sound card's mixing hardware pick up the computer's sound, and direct it to a second audio device. But there will be a slight lag in the second audio device's sound (it has to be processed by the sound card's mixer first), which will create an annoying echo effect if your two audio devices are monitors sitting next to each other. Also, I'm not sure if this still works with Windows 8.x or 10.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-play-audio-through-hdmi-speakers-simultaneously-in-windows-7/

Solution