Corsair PSU AMA Starts Friday December 9 at 1 PM EST - Submit Your Questions Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
[widget="https://gleam.io/HCkHp/toms-hardware-corsair-rm1000i-psu-giveaway", 600][/widget]

Ever wanted to ask one of the big hardware or software giants something directly? How did you design that? Where did that feature come from?What’s in store next? Well, now you have the chance!

Tom’s Hardware is proud to announce our latest installment of ASK ME ANYTHING.

On Friday, December 9, Corsair's PSU Product Manager Jon Gerow will be joining us in the next Tom’s Hardware AMA. He'll be answering your in-depth questions about all of Corsair's current PSU line up, including the recently reviewed Corsair CX750M. The AMA starts Friday, December 9 at 1pm EST, but we're collecting questions ahead of time. Submit all AMA questions to this thread. All questions will be moderated and supervised by Tom’s Hardware Assistant Community Manager, Joshua Simenhoff, and a full team of Tom's Hardware Senior Moderators.

A Special Edition Corsair Giveaway

We're also proud to announce an upcoming giveaway done in partnership with Corsair. Remember that Special Edition White RM1000i spotted at Computex earlier this year? Only a hundred of these special edition models will be manufactured, and we're giving one away to a very lucky reader. The sweepstakes opens today, November 30 and will close at 1pm EST on December 9. Please see the contest entry page for a full list of rules and ways to enter.

Ask Me Anything Rules

• ■No tech support questions, as these require in-depth personal follow-up and diagnostics.
    ■All Rules of Conduct apply.
    ■Keep questions direct and to the point.
    ■Avoid opinion bias, as in, "Why are all your products awesome/horrible?"
    ■Be respectful of our guests--no insults, no leading questions.
    ■Do not post duplicate questions or repost your question multiple times.
    ■Not all questions may be answered. Questions may not be answered in the order in which they are received or posted.

To reiterate: No opinion bias, insults, leading questions, or breaking the Rules of Conduct. Breaking these rules may result in a one-day ban.

Only registered users will be able to ask questions, so if you haven’t yet, be sure to register now for your chance to participate!

The official representatives will reply periodically over the time the AMA is active using a recognized and verified account.

Please join us on this date to throw your questions into the mix and ask Corsair what you've always wanted to ask!

What: Ask Me Anything – Corsair

When: Friday, December 9, 1pm EST

Who: Jon Gerow - Corsair PSU Product Manager (jonnyGURU)

unphazeable

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Mr Gerow,

PC components (including power supplies) are increasingly being differentiated by cosmetic features (different colored lights and sleeves for example) are there any upcoming features that are not cosmetic to the Corsair PSU line that you can share with us?

Cistropus

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I'm looking for the quietest psu available. Do you plan to improve your psu in this respect? Also, my pc uses about 600 watt, how many watts you advise me to have my power supply to work in the most silent possible?

hannibal

Distinguished
Any chance of seing very effient power suply with drive thought type cooling, aka psu that has a Little bit smaller cooler in the Front side of the psu instead of being in the top like 99% of psu Are. It would offer better cooling in some Computer cases.

Dear Jon,

when Corsair works with OEMs to design power supplies, they definitely test the designs many times and are also aware that samples will be sent out to numerous reviewers. My concern is with real-world scenarios. Does Corsair only test their power supplies under automated load machines that run various types of standardized loads and patterns, or do they actually monitor voltage stability while hooked up to an actual computer with real-world scenarios (i.e. gaming, folding, Microsoft Excel)?

If the PSUs are tested with real-world scenarios, do the voltage outputs behave in a way that exemplifies the importance of transient response testing over progressive voltage regulation, or do they exemplify the importance of progressive voltage regulation over transient response? Meaning, does it show at all that transient response testing is more important than the more common progressive load testing done by reviewers?

I have a desire to know this because voltage stability affects the lifespan of the rest of the computer, and I'd like to know in a real world scenario which test is the more important when determining if a PSU has the proper performance for a modern day, realistic computer to last long.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Jon , with most computer builds requiring less juice because of the lower power requirements of hardware , will there be less emphasis on the development and production of higher wattage power supplies in the future?

Thanks for participating in this AMA , much appreciated.

LandoVash

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Mr. Gerow,
Along the lines of Corsair Link functionality, have you seen any market desire for case fan & lighting control embedding/integration to the PSU itself? (i.e. PWM connection of case fans and lighting kits directly to PSU, circumventing a need for a separate controller)

Side question:
Seeing all of the recent tempered glass cases from Corsair lately, I was wondering if any Corsair 250D-style tempered glass case variants are on the horizon?

Lutfij

Titan
1| First and foremost, welcome to Tom'sHardware and thank you for doing an AMA with us! It's also good to see that this time around we're getting to talk to the guru of PSU's ;)

2| You lovely folks at Corsair appreciate the value of having one off limited run hardware's to which I've got 4 SFF builds planned out of which one such build is meant to run off of limited edition hardware, should I wait in line for an announcement of a Limited Edition SF series PSU? I could buy 3 regular units but I'd like to snag the limited edition PSU or at least have my wallet prepped for that day :D

3| Speaking of which, it took you guys a while to get aboard the SFX PSU bandwagon and it seems like, for the price you, guys are offering a much more competitive product compared to those out there. What was it that held you back from releasing sooner than (presumably) later? Was it due to demand or did you guys want to bring out a polished product for the enthusiasts?

4| How long before platinum makes it's way into the SF lineup?

5| It was a long way back but Corsair used to bundle a case badge that read, powered by Corsair, is there any chance we can see a revival of that practice?

6| With another form factor, the SFX-L, already in the wild, can we also expect it to come as a branch off of the SF lineup?

jpe1701

Honorable
I'm in the market for a new Psu. I have been looking around and there's a lot of great options. In your own opinion why would I be making a good investment in a Corsair Psu? Thanks for your time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hi Jon. There's a question I've been wondering about for quite some time, and some might consider it inflammatory, but I'm asking it anyways. Why the high wattage CX psus? I can understand the AX, HX, RM etc lines, they are designed for high end gaming rigs running multiple gpus, full custom water etc, but with the power efficiency of value line pc's or even as an OEM replacement, I can't see any reason for a 750w or 850w CX. So why?

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to see a lightweight PSU. Have reached out to case manufactures even though I don't go anywhere hardly. IMHO it'd be neat to have lightweight cases and PSU's become equally lightweight for people with bad backs. The PSU seems to always be the bulk of the weight for a gaming rig.

Post edited with punctuation and sentence construction to improve comprehension.
Lutfij

ReddChili

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I'd like to know what specific material changes have to be made to improve heat resistance and power efficiency.
regards

RadoBeast

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Do you ever think that companies will add a feature, where you can completely customize your components and parts? By that I mean, like whether or not to have LED's, how manny RAM slots, socket, PCIe lanes, M.2 slots, how many fans your GPU has? I'd like to know how you think customizing your parts will be like in the future.

frznchibi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Dear Jon,

What do think about the idea of "liquid cooled PSUs"?

Would it be possible or has it been done already?

Thanks

Scitesh

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Do You Think the Craze of RGB and Tempered glass will effect PSUs
we have seen RGB PSUs
Do you think A PSU made (or covered in) Tempered Glass
Or DO you think PSU shrouds Would Always exist to cover the UGLY PSUs

AsinineAlliteration

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Jon, again, thank you for providing the community this opportunity. My question is simply something I've always wondered but ever really gotten an answer for. When new PSUs are being designed and fabbed, are the product lines clearly established in the development process, like say, is the tech in a CX PSU always planned for that product line? Or, is it that the R&D is designated to create new technology or efficiency level, and then that technology is then filtered through in different degrees to the established product lines.

I hope this line of questioning is not too loaded; I'm interested in some of the internal workings of Corsair as a company, that have successfully prevented some pretty egregious issues.
I don't recall a Corsair PSU ever being criticized for possessing an outright "liar-label," inflating wattages, or claiming features not present (e.g. OCP). While past Corsair PSUs may have been called out for shortcomings (e.g. caps in some CX units), this sort of dishonesty was not among them. Please discuss the vetting process that goes on between Engineering and Marketing that prevents this; other companies could take a lesson, and those of us who follow PSUs can watch for warning flags from companies that are less thorough. Who gets the final say on matters of labeling?
Followup: Anyone who has ever worked for a company has seen that Engineering keeps the promises made by Marketing (or at least tries). How is Marketing at Corsair kept on a leash, and what are some of the most difficult challenges that Corsair's engineers have met in terms of meeting Marketing expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS