Switching CPU makes, some dumb motherboard questions

Schewe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everybody!

I'm making the jump from an AMD to an Intel processor and of course, will be buying a new motherboard as well. I'm just a bit confused at the configuration differences when switching from an AM3+ to an LGA 1151 board.

Namely--

■ Why is there an abundance of USB 2.0 ports on AMD motherboards but minimal to none on Intel boards? Is this just because of a more updated architecture when compared to AM3+ boards? This is a concern of mine as I have some peripherals that do not function properly when connected to USB 3.0.
    ■ I've noticed video-out ports (HDMI, DVI-D, etc) on some LGA 1151 boards that supposedly do not have integrated graphics. What is the purpose of these ports, if this wasn't a specification error?
    ■ Which rear analog audio channel output is replaced with the inclusion of an optical out?

For reference purposes, I will likely be switching from an

GA-990FXA-UD5 with AMD FX-9590 CPU

to

a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 board with Intel i7-6700K

Thanks in advance! Any further advice, precautions, etc is greatly appreciated.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
AM3+ didn't even have USB 3 support. AM3+ mobos with USB 3 had it added by the motherboard manufacturer, so AM3+ mobos have more usb 2 because thats all it natively supported. Newer motherboards are switching to mainly USB 3 which is fine for the most part as the majority of usb 2 devies are compatible with 3.

The 6700k has integrated graphics, not the motherboard. I would think all LGA 1151 mobos would have video ports on the motherboard, no reason not to.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
1. AM3+ doesn't support USB 3.0, some have it but its added in the chipset. Skylake has native USB 3.0 support so thats why they have more of them.

2. No LGA1151 consumer motherboards have their own integrated graphics chipset , but all of the current Skylake processors (not Xeon) have integrated Intel 530 graphics. Thats why all boards have those ports, it will work on any chip because all of the CPUs have it.

3. Thats a question for Gigabyte. usually the 3 ports on the right cover center/sub, front left/right and rear left/right