How to use Android Netflix Download and Go on Windows/PC Monitor?

rcknrolfender79

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
So as you may or may not be aware Netflix just released a new feature called Download and Go. It is what it sounds to be. You can now download movies and shows to your device to be able to watch later when you don't have internet or when you don't want to kill your data by streaming.

Unfortunately as of now it has only been released for Android and IOS devices. I have been waiting for something like this to happen with netflix for a LONG time. I work a night shift and get a lot of free time.

I have an android phone. So yes I could just use it on my phone. But dude.. who wants to spend hours binge watching and holding a 5 inch screen? Thats more for watching when you're in the waiting room or in a car or something. And no I don't have a tablet unfortunately.

But I do have a computer with a big nice 22" monitor running windows 10. I do have a netflix membership, have had one for a few years now.

I would really like to take advantage of the new download feature and watch what I download on my computer monitor with sound and without lag...

So here is what I have tried.. I have tried downloading a movie on netflix on my phone. I tried finding the raw video in my phone to transfer to my computer.. I didn't have much hope of this actually working. I know Netflix is plenty smart enough to know this would be abused heavily if they didn't do something to protect from it. So of course I was not able to find the file.. and I'm sure if I did find it I probably wouldn't be able to play it.

I tried downloading an Android simulator(Droid4x) for my computer and downloading the netflix app from the Play Store.. I had very high hopes for this. As it is just running android in a different environment.. I didn't have any doubts that this would work. Well... obviously I am here.. it didn't work. I got the simulator working fine. It downloaded and ran Netflix flawlessly.... Unfortunately however.. Netflix through Droid4x did not offer the new download feature. I tried updating the app but the Play Store doesn't show that it can or needs to be updated..

I tried mirroring my phone screen onto my PC... I downloaded Wondershare Mirrorgo.. I also tried Mobizen. This was closest to being successful. Unfortunately the sound is not mirrored. There is a great deal of lag between the phone and PC so the sound is way ahead of the video being mirrored. You cannot make the window very big or it becomes pixelated and ugly. So with all of that.. this becomes a very unwatchable and extremely unenjoyable experience lol.

I have no interest in or desire for pirating or redistributing anything. I simply want to take advantage of the new feature and be able to enjoy it on a much bigger screen with much better sound.

I have one last idea. Is it possible to install a bootable version of android onto a flashdrive? To where I can restart my PC and boot it into a full version of Android? And of course download Netflix and take advantage of the feature there.. I dont have a touchscreen monitor or anything but if I'm not mistaken Android will recognize both the keyboard and mouse to where touch really wont be needed for what I am wanting to do.. right? If this is a possibility could you please point me in the right direction to get started?

Also any other ideas are appreciated.

Solution
Yes, the app is likely locked out to not support it.

You could try it, but it will probably not let you run it for the same reason it doesn't work on the emulators.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You cannot boot an x86 PC with an ARM based operating system.

Android emulators, even the android SDK hardly have the power to stream video like that, also most likely the app has some checks inside of it to ensure its not being emulated but run on a real device. Given some time maybe someone will devise a workaround.

Barring that does your cellphone have HDMI out? Some do, I would check with your manufacturer, some the MicroUSB converts to HDMI with a special cable.

Otherwise you just need to wait for a desktop app. If it were as easy as you thought it was, someone would have done it already.

rcknrolfender79

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
To my knowledge the feature was just released this morning. So, it may very well be easier than it seems.

Also why would Netflix care if the feature is being used on an actual device or not? Android is Android. IOS is IOS. Doesn't really matter what kind of screen its being pushed through does it? The only thing they should be concerned with is whether people are abusing the feature for pirating. Just brainstorming and trying to understand. As it really wouldn't make sense to me why they would care if Android or IOS is being run from an actual phone or tablet instead of a PC running an emulator.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

It was released this morning, but there are folks much more knowledgeable (and more free time) than you or I who tear into programs like that trying to find a way. As of yet they have not, but maybe with a few days or weeks someone will have a solution (or Netflix will release a desktop app).

As for why would it care? Because if its being run on an emulator its possible to record the screen and audio - pirating it. Within their Android and iOS app they can control everything preventing the video form being copied or otherwise used, thats why they care.

rcknrolfender79

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Alright. What about Android x86? Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

rcknrolfender79

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Well, thanks anyways. Have a good day.