Switching from AMD to intel, what parts can/should i salvage

G

Just under a year ago i knew nothing about PC's in general but i decided to build my own gaming PC. I did practically no half decent research so i ended up with an Fx-8350 and a GTX 1070. Bad mistake. Ive had the CPU clocked at 4.5ghz on air and the bottlenecks are crazy. I can barely play certain games on medium at 60 fps. I had to play FarCry 3 locked at 30fps to make it somewhat playable :( . Finally I've decided to trash my system and start over.

-I know my CPU and mobo definitely cant be transferred to my new system. Im genuinely considering turning my fx-8350 into a hand warmer, i've been inspired by watching someone else do it.

-My power supply is a Corsair RM650x, alot of people have told me its a trash power supply, so is it worth transferring into my new system?

-From what ive read i cant use DDR3 ram from my current system on a DDR4 board, is that true?

-I hate my current case, its ugly as hell and has poor cooling so thats definitely going.

-I have a hyper 212 evo CPU cooler, is that adequate to cool an i7 6700k?. I'm considering getting a h100i, would the cooling performance increase be worth the price? Also is there a better AIO water cooler at a comparable price of a h100i?

- i have a zotac 1070 FE, but its terrible and and starts to thermal throttle immmidiately under load. Im considering downgrading to a 1050ti or a 1060 with a better cooler just to avoid the throttling, is it worth it?

-I know i can save my SSD and hard drive. I don't want to mess around reinstalling windows and installing all my games again. Can i literally just take my storage from my AMD system put it directly into my Intel system and have it work with windows, all my games and all my data still on it?

Heres what i'm thinking of building, any improvements would also be appreciated:
-i7 6700K
-Hyper 212 evo/ h100i/ any other better AIO cooler
-Asus Z170-PRO motherboard
-GTX 1050ti/ 1060/ 1070
-Corsair vengeance 16gb DDR4 ram
-Corsair Carbide 600C Case
-Corsair RM650x/ Or possibly higher quality PSU

For Windows installation, it depends on what type of key you got. If it was an OEM, then it is tied to the motherboard. If it was a retail, then you should be able to switch. I hear that you can call Microsoft and they may be nice able to allow you to activate. The build you have now looks good. Why not just keep the 1070, RAM (as long as it's DDR4), and case. The only thing you need to switch is the CPU and motherboard. Everything else should work just fine. Again, with that Windows install, it depends.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
But wait, you'll have to un-install chipset drivers and install the ones for the new motherboard! Shouldn't be too hard tho...

I think the hyper 212 should be fine with the i7. AMD chips generally have higher TDP than the intel chips anyway. Are you planning on overclocking? You could probably still manage a decent overclock with the 212.

Yes, the DDR3 RAM won't work with a DDR4 CPU/mobo. Sorry.

What you've said about the GPU seems strange. It thermal throttles at stock settings? Surely it can't be that bad, unless case cooling is really really terrible?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I have a very similar build, i7-6700K, Asrock Z170 Pro4, with 212 EVO cooler.
Temps are great at idle up to 4.6GHz but went to 74 after running benchmarks.
I went back to stock clocks since this processor is a beast at stock anyway.

Max1s is right, I just did a swap, AMD to Intel and it wouldn't boot. I ended up doing Sysprep on the drive and then it was able to boot on the Intel hardware. However, just doing the chipset is something I would try since the Sysprep made a lot of changes that I didn't need it to.

You are right, you cannot use DDR3 ram in a DDR4 MB.
I think that you may have hit on the reason you are having throttling issues if indeed your case has poor cooling. The 212EVO is one of the best bang for the buck air coolers. you could use it with the I7.
If you get a new MB and CPU, you WILL have to re-install Windows, as you have already installed MB drivers for your AMD build. A clean, fresh install would solve mure problems and be quicker than trying to get the current install to work properly,
I don't know what the issue with your 1070 is, Either you got a bad card, (heatsink not installed properly) or the case's airflow doesn't permit it to cool itself properly..

I do not think that your current build is all that bad, I've seen a lot worse. I think a good case and proper cable management would go a long in solving your cooling issues.
Good luck!

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html

Although technically beaten by the Ivy Bridge chips, they still benchmarked the FX-8350 as getting over 60FPS (~90% of the i7-3770K's performance) with an HD 7970. Although that's kind of a decent card still, it's nowhere near as good as a GTX 1070 (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html). So I think there's something else going on here. Like @clarkjd pointed out, bad cooling is going to throttle your system, & unfortunately bad cooling will throttle a system whether it has an AMD chip or an Intel chip.

You should check your operating temperatures to see if you're getting any throttling. MSI Afterburner is great for checking GPU temps (it works with all GPUs, MSI or not), & will give you actual temps. Checking the temp on an FX CPU is sometimes tricky; CoreTemp seems to give decent actual temps (at least as long as it's over 40C), but an alternate method is to use the AMD Overdrive overclocking tool; instead of measuring the actual temps, it measures your "thermal margin" (i.e. margin between the current operating temp & the max-rated temp for the CPU). If your GPU is running hot, that's obviously a problem. If your CPU is constantly going over 60C when gaming, or if your thermal margin is dropping below 10C, that's also a big problem.

AMD's stock coolers aren't too bad for stock operating (I use it on my FX-8320 with no overheating issues), but since you're using an aftermarket cooler you may want to double-check the thermal paste (make sure it's not too little but not too much) & make sure the fan & cooler are securely attached.

The case itself seems decent enough, especially with the potential fan layout (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-clear-600c-inverse-atx-full-tower-case). If you haven't added any fans to the stock configuration (2x140mm front, 1x140mm rear), then consider adding the additional bottom case fans (your choice of 2x140mm or 3x120mm). Also, make sure its airflow isn't blocked -- a lot of so-called "computer desks" have cubbyholes for the towers that really restrict the air flow, sometimes blowing the hot air right back to the front where it gets sucked back in. Giving your case access to plenty of cool air, & making sure you have plenty of fans to pull it in, will probably help a lot with the performance.