New Graphics Card Not Responding After Installation

maverick moonminer

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
Hi All,

Thanks for such a wonderful community. I have seen several other posts here concerning the same issue it appears I am having. I used the information collected from previous posts, but to no avail, so I am hoping I can perhaps find a few new pieces of insight to help me solve my issue.

I recently purchased a AMD VisionTek Radeon 7750 1GB PCIe HDMI Video Graphics Card (7750SFF2HDMI) to install in my HP Envy 700-056. The factory specs are as follows:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03782932

The only changes I have made to this system are upgrading to Windows 10 and installing more memory (12gb upped to 28gb)

I purchased the graphics card mentioned above with the understanding the PSU in this system (300w) would support this card.

In BIOS I changed the Secure Boot to Legacy, a tip I gleaned from another thread here, however, when I start the computer I receive a series of continuous beeps and a black screen.

I have removed the graphics card for now and the system boots up normally with no issues as long as the new card is not installed.

Is is possible I need to uninstall the drivers for the integrated graphics card that came installed from the factory? My only fear about doing this is that if it doesn't work I won't be able to got back to using the computer once I remove those drivers.

Any and all assistance is very much appreciated. Thanks to everyone!

Jeff

maverick moonminer

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016

Thanks so much for the reply. The card is in fact used -- you are probably right that it is bad, which if that's the case I will attempt to return it. That's what I get for being cheap. In any case, I would like to check for a BIOS update, but have never done that. How might I go about doing that? I really appreciate the help!

Go to www.hp.com find the support link, there will be a place to enter you model to find drivers, look for the BIOS file there. You should be able to run it from Windows. Also the chipset driver may be a good idea to update.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Personally I would get a better PSU and try it with that. A lot of OEM PSU's are overrated and I have seen more than a few times where a system supposedly has the power to run but doesn't until a new PSU is installed.

The other thing to try is unplug everything except the bare necessities (CPU, PSU, GPU, 1 stick of RAM).
See if you can boot to the BIOS.
If it boots then that is a clue you might just need a new PSU.

maverick moonminer

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
Thanks so much, BadAsAl. I probably should have mentioned before, which may alter the diagnosis significantly (maybe not), but the fan on the GPU runs/spins when the system boots up, so I know it's getting power. There is not a plug for additional power on this particular model GPU. That said, is it still possible it could be the PSU?

Thanks!

maverick moonminer

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016

Thanks so much, BadAsAl. I probably should have mentioned before, which may alter the diagnosis significantly (maybe not), but the fan on the GPU runs/spins when the system boots up, so I know it's getting power. There is not a plug for additional power on this particular model GPU. That said, is it still possible it could be the PSU?

Thanks!